Bottom paint Bottom paint Bottom paint Bottom paint

Thread: Bottom paint

Default Bottom paint

Can anyone offer some input on a good AFFORDABLE bottom paint that I can apply myself? My hull is showing white through the last application and would like to just paint over the existing. Thanks folks for any insight.

First you need to know what your going to paint over, most want you to re-coat with the same paint. If unknown go to West Marine
    and they will set you straight on what to use. Many re-coat the thin areas as you looking to do. AFFORDABLE.

Gene

I'd like to know how to get that crap off my boat. Previous owner started to remove it, but only got a little bit off. Any ideas?

Whopper, what is she? Glass or aluminum? I am sure some mfg. have some form of stripper.

Fiberglass hull. Boat came from Florida. The coating is black in color, but if I really look at it, seems there Is also dome green there also.. I saw that Home Depot had a stripping compound, but it was kind of pricy

I use COASTAL COPPER 450 that I get from zincsforboats.com Every year I just lightly sand the bad spots, little primer and repaint just the bad spots. Been doing it for over 10 years now and it works great. The paint is only about 100 bucks a gallon which is a good deal for this type of paint. It is an ablative paint which means as it kills the algae it sacrifices a little of its self. They have an online store and sell on ebay also. A gallon lasts me about 3 years doing it this way. I have a 27 foot Bayliner.

Elrod is right on about maintaining the hull paint but at least k new what paint he was using. Some cannot re-coat over another.
    Whopper, if you can get your boat to The Boat Guy in Toledo he helped me out last year. If you want the address and phone number
    PM me.

Gene