memorial weekend walleye forecast memorial weekend walleye forecast memorial weekend walleye forecast memorial weekend walleye forecast

Default memorial weekend walleye forecast

We're coming up Thursday- Tuesday 25-30th and taking a guide trip with eyehunter Friday evening. We're staying at the crystal rock campground, not sure where we will put in yet. What's the waves and wind suppose to be like for the weekend? Do the walleye bite good in the rain? This will be our first time coming to lake erie coming from Missouri. I'm taking my 21 foot seaark aluminium bass boat. I've been checking the weather apps but not sure how to judge how the waves are going to be. I've been seeing the past couple weeks guys have been saying it's not very calm water out their and fishing has been hard. Hoping it'll change this weekend. This will be our first time fishing for walleye in a big lake I bought a few reef runners and flicker minnows. Is trolling crankbaits our best bet to get on a lot of walleye?
    I'd like to do some night fishing too if it's been any good and where at? I'm mostly fishing for walleye but like to try perch too. Thanks for the help!

Friday afternoon looks good, will have a few left over waves build will calm down throughout the afternoon. Sat morning early, like 3 to 4am has some winds but after that looks nice, sunday looks windy but if you stay in the first 2 miles of shore shouldn't be too bad since it s/sw.

Eyehunter had a great weekend last time out, lots of nice fish on friday and sunday. Sat they did not go due to wind. Jim and his staff are top notch. It rained sunday and we still pulled fish through it.

Lineman. You are in good hands with the Eyehunter gang. They are docked in Channel Grove Marina. After your trip with them on Friday you will have a good idea of what lures and what colors are hot this weekend. Channel Grove Marina has a good selection of what you will need and you can get your lures there after your charter trip. Jim or his first mate can even take you into the store and help you pick stuff out if you ask them.

Perch reports have not been great. I personally would not at this time use my limited time on the water trying for them. The walleye bite is much better right now. If you would want to go home with some lake erie perch, I would bet port clinton fish service has some. If I recall it's around 20 a pound.

Thanks for the information! Where's the main bite going on right now and which boat ramp would be the best for the weekend that won't be really busy? That's probably a dumb question haha

Where the best bite is can't say,what I would do since you taking an eye hunter trip on friday is where ever jim takes you be will be the area he feels are the best chance to get fish, you will se what depths and speeds and lures he us running, I would try my best to replicate that trip. I know eye hunter troll mostly with bandits as far as crank baits and as Matt said ypu can get a good choice right there, if you need other quantity or colors they might not have hi wsy bait is just down the road.

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

Lineman92,

Memorial Day Weekend is busy on any waterway, and on this end of Lake Erie, the Western Basin, but especially around the Islands. LOTS of pleasure boats along with all the fishing boats. If the weather is good they will all be out, many for the first time this season. Some places can be very crowded with boats coming and going from all directions. The fishing the last few days has been right in the middle of one of the busiest sections of the area - around Catawba Point. Be prepared for a lot of boats and boat wakes, and a good number of "amateurs."

Also the boat ramps, roads, and businesses will be crowded at times. Give yourself some extra time while traveling. Trips that ordinarily take 20 minutes can take double that or more.

Ask around at bait shops and read the fishing reports at most marinas, like Channel Grove. Many, especially those with a lot of fisherman, post a report on a board at the bait shop or marine store. And of course check here in the evenings for reports. You can check online for various fishing reports, just search under "Lake Erie Fishing Report."

Don't be surprised if the early morning and evening bite is best, before and after the main boat traffic times. Evening walleye fishing can be great. A lot less boats. The fish aren't being spooked around by all the boats and begin to settle down and feed. Also take some casting spinners and small silver spoons for White Bass. Once you are done with walleye try the small spinners and spoons, especially near the islands shorelines. The White Bass should be starting their Lake spawn, and they can be found in the shallows as well as out in the open lake. Get into a school of them and the action can be really hot and fast!

Have fun this weekend. But take it easy until you get the hang of navigating Lake Erie waves. They are often steep and peaky even when not very high. Lots of big boat wakes out there too. Many an aluminum bass boat captain has taken on water over the bow or stern unexpectedly. We hear about them every year on vhf ch 16 getting towed back to the launch. Now you know so it won't be you. Tight lines, Cape Ken

We had a really good time with eyehunter we got our 24 fish limit! Thanks for the help about the waves. These waves are a little different up here but haven't sunk the boat yet, glad I added the extra 2000gph bilge pump though! memorial weekend walleye forecast-screenshot_20170527-151950-jpg