5/23 Afternoon WSW of Kelleys Island 5/23 Afternoon WSW of Kelleys Island 5/23 Afternoon WSW of Kelleys Island 5/23 Afternoon WSW of Kelleys Island

Default 5/23 Afternoon WSW of Kelleys Island

I took the wife and her friend for a ride earlier in the afternoon to check the boat out since I had just launched it on Monday.

We rode slowly into and around the pack near the "Catawba Turn", green can. Marks were not great but radio showed that some fish were being caught. Water clarity was better than I thought it would be with the wind we have had. During the boat ride the winds were NNE at about 6-8MPH, so drifters were moving slow and water was pretty calm.

I decided to head out myself as the forecast was not promising for another opportunity to fish in the next few days. I headed for the south side of Kelleys to hide form the increasing NE wind which was now at 10 MPH plus. Ended up due north of the American Eagle Shoal red can on the SSW corner of Kelleys. Drifting SW pulling a medium bag at 1.2 MPH in 30 to 27 ft of water. Ended up with 6 keepers. 16" to 18" and threw back 8 shorts in 2 - 1/2 hours. The 14" fish are FAT and look very healthy.

All of the fish were on the bottom despite the lack of good marks down there. Ended up with two weapons both with cupped, hammered gold, colorado blades laying on the bottom letting line out. Worked each pole separately with a lift and drop / slow retrieve keeping close to the bottom. Kind of like a slow jig. I could not get a bite working the swing, even close to the bottom.

Hope this helps someone catch some fish. Walleye was what was for dinner. It was awesome!

Great job, You were on it. I should have went with my instinct and launched out of Catawba.

I launched out of Turtle Creek about 7a.m. started in 18 fow just to the west - water was slightly discolored - then moved west to clearer water and deeper, then in shallower, in packs of boats with trollers all around. Using similar Gold Colorado and a Tiger in same method. Also ended up East of Turtle - past the turbid water and in about 15 fow. Tried 13 fow to 28 fow and only Sheephead - didn't see many nets working either. I ended up getting about 15 sheephead, 1 channel cat, a couple tiny white perch, and a nice Yellow perch when I tried them for 15 minutes while trying for walleye. Not even a short walleye - but it was a nice day and boat ran great.