new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling new to trolling
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: new to trolling

What do you guys use in 40 fow though? 200 ft of line on a Jet 40 seems like a lot to get down to 36-37. Without investing in Jet 50's or Dipsy's is there a good in line weight ratio to get down near the bottom in 40 fow? 3oz inline weight at 80-90 ft back?

I only go to a 3oz. Weight,, I Haven't had to go deeper to catch fish, I have 40 tts, just invested in some 50's to experiment with

A 3oz weight at 100' back will get you to 42' @ 1.5 mph, but your question said running close to the bottom so you have to remember that when turning or slowing down you will probably hit the bottom and possibly lose equipment. If you do the same thing with a jet type diver it rises if stopped and won't sink if slowed. Just something to keep in mind between two ways to get to your desired depth. I typically don't target fish that close to the bottom, and when I do it is on a bottom bouncer or a 3 way rig designed to touch bottom.

Yea that's my concern with inline weights (hitting the bottom). Think I'd run Jets off boards to cover the column in 40 fow and than run a rod or two off the side with inline weights/bottom bouncers. Going to be fishing some of the finger lakes in NY for the first time in June. Guess people troll 100 fow for trout and they can be all over the column so will probably use inline weights in that scenario. Jet 40's too. Don't really have the gear for that kind of fishing... It seems like it costs a few hundred dollars to get set up to correctly fish a new environment...
    Last edited by Pauken23; 05-15-2017 at 09:13 PM.