question about the winds question about the winds question about the winds question about the winds

Default question about the winds

I use noaa, weather channel, windfinder. None of them seem to be very accurate. Have guys out fishing right now west of kellys. My reports say 7 to 9 mph from the east. They called and said 4' waves. Who do you use. Any advice will help. If I was wrong as often as the weather men are I never would have made it to retirement. Help !!!!

try iwindsurf.com use Put-In-Bay for the location

When winds are from the N, NE, or E, a good rule of thumb is....Forecast waves 2ft or less = 1-3's. forecast 1-3= 2-4ft, forecast 2-4= 3-5's. The waves have a lot of water to build upon when wind is from any of those directions and a computer generated wave forecast goes on speed only without taking into consideration direction. I have found windfinder to be the most accurate but I check at least 3 different sites and compare. I also use the South Bass or Put In Bay location.

Default fwiw

when the water is as cold as it is now and its spring time, its just wise to add in an extra ft. of wave action into the report, when the water warms along with weather those reports you get are much closer to reality.

A little more about using PIB's weather station...it is accurate for most wind directions except North and maybe NE. It is located on the SW corner of the island by the old light house. I've seen it been off due the wind block of the island itself.

when the wind is from the ne or e you can add about 1' to 2' to the waves. the wind from the e or ne has the whole lake to build the waves.