Trolling Question Trolling Question Trolling Question Trolling Question

Default Trolling Question

If I'm fishing 4 rods will I get enough spread if I flat line (no boards) a line out of each side of the boat and run one more each side with boards?

You will get the separation with the two lines on the boards,and the board lines should easily outfish your flatlines.Not bad way if just starting out using boards or just have 2 boards.When we started trolling years ago we did the same with just a board off both sides and a line off both corners of the boat.But our flat lines were braided line with bottom bouncers and worm harnesses.Some days those flat lines did pretty well and others, nothing.You would be better to use a dipsy on those flat lines at a three setting.

Why not just buy a couple more boards? If not I will second the use of Dipsy's on a 3 setting, that will get you out from the boat.

Quote Originally Posted by Eyezcrazy View Post
    Why not just buy a couple more boards? If not I will second the use of Dipsy's on a 3 setting, that will get you out from the boat.
    Because funds are not unlimited, I was going to buy 10 or so badits instead of 2 more boards.
    Last edited by 557ranger; 05-06-2017 at 02:44 PM.

So if I do
    run four boards what spread should I run?

Sometimes you can get good deals used.

grandrapids.craigslist.org/spo/6080345616.html

I run normally 3 a side and can run up to 4 a side of inline.

I normally, if not alot of traffic set my first board at 100 over depth. And fill the others in evenly. If alot of traffic I bring them in some.

In nice have a selection of bandit to choose from but if ypu can't run them correctly and get them away from the boat they won't do as well as they can.

Dipseys are a simple to use and not expensive tool every one should gave a few on boat

You'll do fine . When fish are high you may miss out some ...but I've had plenty of times when flat lines produces as well if not better than boards . Make some turns and it'll help .

Quote Originally Posted by 557ranger View Post
    If I'm fishing 4 rods will I get enough spread if I flat line (no boards) a line out of each side of the boat and run one more each side with boards?
    Like mentioned, flat lines can and do catch fish. But you will catch more fish using boards in the long run. Your odds go up as you increase your spread...most days. You are covering more water with each pass.
    Also you'd be better off running 2 boards on one side instead of one board each side. Unless your real good at reading boards, you will miss more fish by not being able seeing them "play" with the bait where you would normally force feed the bait and get a hook up. Or drag around a small fish. If that makes sense.
    Run one rod on the other side, rod 90 degrees to the boat, the other rod, with a bouncer off that corner.
    IMHO, this time of year/water temp, pulling meat would be the bait of choice if you can troll slow enough. And for the price of 2 crankbaits, you can build a box of harness parts.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

I run 3 boards per But as the spoon bite begins I love to run 2 straight lines off the sides with jets. Some days the out catch the boards if the fish are deep..

More lures over more boards>.... Get the boards! It will allow you to cover more water in a pass...

Last year I ran 4 rods with only two boards. I ran tadpoles with harnesses off the corners and was quite pleased. Also I use Sidewinder boards which are comparatively cheap, I've modded them with offshore releases . Pretty good economical rig.