memorial day weekend memorial day weekend memorial day weekend memorial day weekend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default memorial day weekend

Hi everybody, I'm new here and new to fishing Erie. I have a 17' Fisher deep v and am going to be camping and fishing out of "magee east" memorial day weekend. I have a few questions for all you helpful and knowledgeable people. What is the normal way to fish for walleye that time of year, jigging, casting, trolling and where are the fish usually at that time of year or are the already spread out by then? Also does anybody have anyinput on "magee east" ? Thanks in advance for any information!

Ranger,
    I camp close to there every year the week before Memorial Day. We've had a great time fishing the western basin over the past 15 or so years. Hopefully you'll have as much fun as we do. Here are some comments to your questions:
    I don't know anything about Magee East. I think that's a newer campgound in the area. There are several near there. Looks like you'll leave out of Turtle Creek harbor. That's the one we use. Gas and bait available at the harbor.
    By then, the jigging bite has usually slowed some and most people are trolling or casting. Casting is great if you have a decent wind and chop to keep the boat moving about 1 mph or so. Trolling covers a lot more water and is the ticket when conditions are calm and flat. But to effectively troll you need a kicker motor or ability to keep your speed in the 1.5 to 2 mph range with your big motor. We now troll with big boards and TripZ divers, but I used to use in-line boards, in-line weights, Dipsey divers, etc. We probably catch more on crawler harnesses than anything else, but Stinger spoons can be excellent as well as body baits such as Reef Runners, Rogues, Hot-N-Tots, Wally Divers, etc. Just have to experiment to see what works best for the situation, water clarity, etc. Listen to the radio for tips.

Fish can be anywhere, depending on the year. We usually fish the "Camp Perry Firing Range" area around the reefs. A, B, C cans and Niagara reef are key spots if the fish have moved out some. Or they could still be in closer on Locust, Round, and Crane reefs. We also fish Crane Creek sometimes, to the west of the harbor. And I've been out and around West Sister many times. I suggest you watch this board for info as time gets close. Also check with bait shops. The Happy Hooker is just down the road from Magee East and a good place to get bait and advice. Also Fenwick Marina, gas station, and restaurant is great for info. We usually eat breakfast there. Great food. About a mile east of Happy Hooker.

If you don't have maps yet, get one of the reefs area. I think you can find them on this site or buy one at a bait shop. You'll definitely want to know the location of the "cans" and reefs.

Your 17 ft deep V will be okay for most days, but BE CAREFUL. Lake Erie can get extremely dangerous very quickly. I fished for years from a Tracker 17' Magna V and know first hand how dangerous it can be. So long as waves are 2 ft or less I felt reasonably safe. But I've had some very close calls when the wind picked up and I was 7 miles or so out. Six to 8 ft waves is terrifying. Be sure to have a good VHF radio with weather channels. And watch the forecasts before you go out. Some days it's so flat you could go anywhere. Other days going out at all is not safe. Err on the safe side until you are confident in your abilities and what your boat can handle. I fish from a 21' Lund now and still won't go out in rough conditions. It's not worth it.

Hope this is helpful. If you have a VHF radio, you'll here lots of chatter on 68, 69, etc. Ask for reports and suggestions. I'm Coho Joe on 68 usually.
    Bordy

Thanks for the reply Bordy, I have read a lot on here and am as aware as I can be of the dangers but I know that being out on the lake is a whole different ball game. The first thing I bought for my boat gps/chartplotter and a vhf radio.

Don't just come for the walleye the perch fishing last year was phenomenal and personally I like it better than walleye. You will be very close to the cans and some days 30 perch in an hour is not unheard of. So don't forget them perchin poles.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

557, I have my camper and boat there it is a decent place, I have been there for awhile and have never wanted to move elsewhere.
    But for me on the holidays I stay away but that's just me. Go to www.mageeeast.com they will have what is going on that weekend for sure. Click on "EVENTS". Probably a band in the evenings and some sort of cookout,

The map you want to get is the Fishing Hot Spots Lake Erie Western Basin Addition. It is a nice map fold well and has enough lots of
    info with gps points. I have one on the boat and I keep on at home. If you have a Cabela's, Bass Pro or Ganders they will have it and
    possibly a bait shop nearby. The Happy Hooker may have it.

Gene

Welcome 557Ranger!, if just learning the lake I would get the free app, sailflow, Iwindsurf or windfinder. Do not rely on NOAA! I have fished the lake since the early 80s and NOAA has sent us into many of storm when they predicted calm winds. I think you would appreciate one of those free apps, if you have a smart phone. No fish is worth your or anyone's life. Erie can become mean real quick. It's an awesome fishery but always respect it! Hope you have a great fishin season!

So true M.A.D. Beware. I use I Windsurf for basically for winds and Wunderground for all around weather.

Gene

So would I be better off trying to troll or drift and cast on my first trip? I would like to get some perch as well!

If you like casting, I hit the reef complex on the deep water edges and cast mayfly rigs. You catch just about everything there is out there. Pretty fun and I usually get my fish. Once the hatches come about it slows up a bit like everything else. Plus you can cruise out a bit anchor and hit the perch. Thats what I do when by my lonesome self...
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Trolling, has proven to be the most productive that time of year, harnesses, spoons, crankbaits, cover more water and put your lures in front of more fish, a trolling app. Called precision trolling, is a big plus, it will get you in the ballpark . Tons of variables, line size, weights,trolling speed, but even I have found a few acorns. Good luck I'm heading that way at the same time. I did well up to the 4th of July on cranks, most have been trolling meat long before than and spoons.