New member in search of advice New member in search of advice New member in search of advice New member in search of advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Bordy,
    Thank you for the info. My boat came with the shower clips with releases and just plain shower clips. I am not for sure what the plain shower clips are for but now that you mention rubber band releases they Were probably used for that style. What advantages do the rubber band style releases offer over the ones with the clip? Also what pound test and type of line do you find best suited for trolling crank baits? I'm going to try
    And buy some line tomorrow morning. I do have a kicker, i can't wait to get up there and experiment.

I use 20 lb. Spiderwire. I do not see any advantage over any other braid. The use of the rubber band is a good indicator of dragging
    a smallish fish that did not pop the release and you can retrieve it faster and reset it and instead of dragging the little critter around
    and wondering should I check it. I use the Offshore releases I just changed the rubber pads after 6 yrs. of use after they started letting a premature release when setting out a crank. They are the 10's and 14's and yellow and black I think.

Gene

Hi Rick, curious how it is out there. I have a 1989 Crestliner Sabre GL206. Ive enjoyed it. I don't have the hardtop like yours but very similar otherwise. Id post you a pic but I forgot how..lol. My boat came from NY as well. I like in Ohio and plan on heading up tomorrow since it looked a little better then today. Hope you nail some nice fish.

Blog Entries

NK Jim
    I havent been up, but I plan on going up tomorrow. I'm just a little southwest of Dayton in a little town called germantown. I will probably head out of Catabwa

Blog Entries

BtweenShots,
    I purchased 20# spider wire stealth. Do you run a mono backer and some kind of leader?

Rick, sure run a mono backer it's about the same on any of the braid lines. Use any mono you may have it does not have to be anything expensive.

Gene

Default sunday fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Reed View Post
    NK Jim
    I havent been up, but I plan on going up tomorrow. I'm just a little southwest of Dayton in a little town called germantown. I will probably head out of Catabwa
    I think Im going to put in at wild wings and fish the reefs. it's a bit closer. I live about an hour north of Dayton.

Rick, yes I run a fluorocarbon leader usually about 5 ft. or so but that's only on the cranks. I just hook up the mainline right to the
    Jet or Dipsy .

Gene

Feel free to call me anytime and I will be glad to share. 614.327.7144 jim

Default Releases

Rick
    I suppose you can attach your line directly to the clip but I've never seen it done that way. The rubber hold in the release and stretches and you can read your lines for small white bass draggers or popped releases etc. that's the only way I've seen it done but I'm no expert. The shower curtain rings must be extras. You can't use them without a clip to hold the line.
    As for line I like 20 lb Proline. I think it handles best for trolling. It's stiffer than Spiderwire so less likely to wrap around the rod tip, a major frustration on windy days. But any braid will work. I don't use a fluorocarbon or mono leader but some people do.
    Hope you had a good trip and caught a few. Weather has certainly not helped.
    Bordy

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Reed View Post
    Bordy,
    Thank you for the info. My boat came with the shower clips with releases and just plain shower clips. I am not for sure what the plain shower clips are for but now that you mention rubber band releases they Were probably used for that style. What advantages do the rubber band style releases offer over the ones with the clip? Also what pound test and type of line do you find best suited for trolling crank baits? I'm going to try
    And buy some line tomorrow morning. I do have a kicker, i can't wait to get up there and experiment.