Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette Ramp etiquette
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ramp etiquette

Angry Ramp etiquette

With the massive influx of boats this weekend, there had to be a good deal of newbies to the sport. Am I wrong to ask someone to clear the ramp when they drop their boat only to leave it at the dock blocking the ramp to all other users when all they have to do is walk the boat to other side?!?!? This seems to be a common problem (and happened on put in/take out at WW) and usually occurs when someone drops off someone (usually a wife, sorry ladies) to hold the boat while they park the truck and trailer. Replying by "can't you just wait?" is not the answer from the offender. Please move your boat out of the ramp when you load unless you want to get barked at by everyone WAITING to get it. Trained my wife and son on this long ago, now she drives the truck!!! Just sayin...

Not everyone's wife is comfortable backing the truck and trailer. If it takes a couple of extra minutes to safely get that boat out that's fine. The way I look at it is that it is not a tournament and when it is your turn just do it as quickly and safely as you can. If someone barks at me during my turn that's fine, just be prepared to be barked back at. I think it would be more productive to offer a hand rather than giving someone lip service.That is my ramp etiquette!

Yes, this can be frustrating.

Not all of us have a partner either. I have done my best to become proficient at the boat ramp especially when I am by myself. Sometimes though no matter what, we will have to wait. If I launch my boat it depends on where it is if it matters. ( Mazuricks is awesome) . If you launch your boat you either have to tie it up at the dock or motor it over somewhere and tie off. That can also eat up time hustling back to the truck to get pulled out.

Weekends are going to be busy, especially at primetime launch hours. An yes there are a lot of unpracticed launchers.. But outside of buying one's own private launch, or renting a slip, which can be done. We just have to take the good with the bad.

Ramp etiquette requires that too. My 2 cents.
    Last edited by pimplepounder; 04-10-2017 at 02:33 PM. Reason: misspelling.
    PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

Grady no one is asking your wife to back truck or drive boat. At Wild wings you can tie a rope to boat and walk it around to the other side of the dock so others can keep using the ramp. Same way most do it when they are alone. I tie a rope front and back 1 long rope then when I unload I can control front and back. Not difficult to take to the non ramp side of the dock. You may be quick when you do it but other take the ramp then go get in line with their truck all while blocking a ramp lane.

Rick, I agree that if there is a spot to move the boat while retrieving the truck by all means do it. The way I read th OP's post it mentioned WW as a reference from the last weekend but I did not read it as only pertaining to WW. If it was, than I misread the post and apologize for that. But with that being said, I still never see it OK for someone to bark as someone's wife and kid for holding them up for a few minutes. I have had my share of times waiting at a busy launch, and someone yelling at someone else does not accomplish a thing. The OP did mention "newbies", this is no way to welcome a family to our sport.

I would never yell at someone who is trying to be safe in their own way. As for the loading of the boats, different ramps require different tactics. If you use a ramp all the time you learn where you trailer needs to be positioned and you look like a pro.. But go to a ramp that you are not used to that is a lot steeper, or has a cross wind or both and even the most seasoned pro can look a little new. OR ALOT new.

Maybe the guy should've offered to help the guy launch instead of going down the other road.

If the person is doing everything they can to be quick about it and they clearly realize and care that they're holding everyone else up, I'm not upset about waiting. If they're blocking a ramp and they're taking their sweet time getting back after parking their truck, stop at the Porta potty, bs with someone on the dock etc, then I'm going to be pissed. Then again, all I ever ask for of people is to be courteous and considerate. I also don't hesitate to help someone when they're alone by hooking up to the bow hook and winching them up to speed up the process for everyone.

I understand that it's frustrating to watch someone pull up on a ramp when they're not ready to launch. Just have to be patient.

I can tell you this, we (my wife and I) work fast to launch and re load, If someone is acting pissie or being a jurk because Im not going fast enough for them, I slow down... I not in a hurry to damage the boat, truck or others... Slow & Steady, is Fast and Safe....Take your turn...
    Good fishing...
    Rick
    Rick

My policy at a ramp is just to be patient, stay quiet and accept it. You will eventually get your turn. Just hope it's the same day. Any rant at ramp never speeds up the process.