Auxiliary motor steering,   what is everyone using. Auxiliary motor steering,   what is everyone using. Auxiliary motor steering,   what is everyone using. Auxiliary motor steering,   what is everyone using.

Default Auxiliary motor steering, what is everyone using.

Looking for feedback on what ppl are using. The pros and cons. I will say I'm not looking at anything fancy, automatic, power, etc. But would be nice to hear what ppl like or don't like about those systems as it might be felpful to others.

I have a 115hp evinrude v4 as my main and an evinrude 7.5 as my kicker, my kicker is new to me. Luckily it looks like I will be able to straight mount it on the transom with no bracket. I will try to attach s picture so other who know more than can let me know if the see something that might cause an issue.

But I'm looking at either just a simple steering rod connect that i would have to manually install and remove each time. My worry for this is with my kicker down and my main down, if I don't angle the kicker towards the boats center the main will contact it, and even when angled there is still a little interference issue. If I raise my kicker manually with the shallow lever I get enough clearances to have no contact and I would have the kicker out of the water when on plane, but the cam down lever does not sit on the locking pin well and a couple good shakes it falls right off, do till I get that issue fixed that's not an option.

My other option is the ez steer but I find it crazy pricey, but the kicker already has the bracket for it. But buying the 2 parts cost as much as the entire kit, but with both being together I won't have interference issue, and I won't have to worry about ever dropping it into the lake.

Thanks for your info and advice and or experiences

It's hard to see the water line on the boat but it just above the prop for the electric motor, right on the cap for speedo tube going through the transom. The oil stain on the kicker is basicly on this same line. I do get the blades on the electric motor to break the water surface if the waves get into the 2 ft area. And I know when on plane the cave plate on the main is right on the water surface. So I expect the kicker to maybe drag slightly till I get the tilt locking issue worked out.

I had a bracket for the kicker but it was full up or down with no detent in between, I might have to get a differant one if the kicker drags too much, but that's another issue as well
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 03-07-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Add more info

Thumbs up TR1 Gold

I understandthe money thing,i am on social security only and if I had to buy a steering system now could not afford the TR1 Gold,I purchased one when I still had an income and then it was a stretch but that is by far the best investment I have ever made in fishing,that just changed everything,no worry about steering ever,and it works exactly like it should all the time,set it and forget it is true with that.sometimes you can find a used one on ebay or raigs,can search google for one,I would not have a problem buying a used one after having mine since they came out and not having even a small problem with it,the best thing is I go out alone at times and it is better than having a steering guy,you have the control right there in the back of the boat for any changes and I also have my fish finder in the back so I am always facing the back,all I can say is if you could find anyway to swing it you would never ever be sorry,it made my fishing -and I am disabled and in pain all the time just so much more fun,those Guys at Garman should be given praise for the TR1 Gold system,I wish you luck and regardless of what you do have fun.

Hey Branham
    Look at Geotz engineering
    I have used this steering system for years & it's always been reliable
    You never have to be tied to the helm

Howdy Branham, Why dont you just make a steering link that you can remove and install. There should be mounting points on both outboards where you could put Ball joints with snap on caps. Fab you up a sturdy linkage and mount the caps and tweek. You could them quickly remove when you are done.

You planning on using the hand throttle On the kicker I presume?

I know this would probably be outside the cost range that you're looking for, but I have a 19' Lund with a 150 and 9.9. Both mounted similar to yours. After 10 years of fighting the wind when broadside or into the wind with a rear mounted kicker I finally broke down and bought an electric bow mounted trolling motor. The one I have has a 16 food cord on the foot control so I can sit anywhere I want and still steer. This was the best thing I could do for trolling. I use the kicker straight ahead for power and the electric on momentary for steering and don't have to fight the wind. Works like a charm. Look around and I think you'll find a lot of vessels set up this way.

I found a board member that sold me a used ez steer system for a great price. I hope to try it out this week. I had thought about a bow mount to help with that dame issue you just mentioned......I dont have great access to my bow for deployment, plus we planned a new top this year too so that might have to wait till later on to add. If I need a little extra thrust on turns I still have the electric engine mounted motor that may or may not help.

Quote Originally Posted by pimplepounder View Post
    Howdy Branham, Why dont you just make a steering link that you can remove and install. There should be mounting points on both outboards where you could put Ball joints with snap on caps. Fab you up a sturdy linkage and mount the caps and tweek. You could them quickly remove when you are done.

You planning on using the hand throttle On the kicker I presume?
    Yes throttle on kicker will be used

PimplePounder

Ranger Cherokee 237 18ft.
    115 HP. Johnson SPL
    15 HP Merc. Kicker
    Xi5 Motorguide Auto Anchor/GPS
    FL-20 Vexilar
    898 HD DI SI Humminbird GPS
    Navonics Premium

EZ Steer on my 221 Islander