Drift socks for trolling Drift socks for trolling Drift socks for trolling Drift socks for trolling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drift socks for trolling

Planning on trolling the upcoming season. I have always been a drifter from way back in the 80s. My question pertains to using a drifter sock/bag to slow me down. Unfortunately last year when purchasing my new rig I wasn't able to afford a kicker. Plan to in near future however for now I must make the 150 yamaha 4 stroke work for me. I would appreciate any ideas on whether just one on either port or starboard side or would I be wise to run two of them, one on each side? I have seen the plates that can be attached to the lower unit but I'd rather not. Give me some thoughts on this matter. Oh yeah, by the way with my 196 fishmaster and the Yamaha I tend to be around the 2.5 or so speed at idle. Thanks all and good luck to you as as always.

Amish outfitter beefy bags are the only bags to buy 2x24 off the sides or 1 48 straight out the back you pick. Bigger is better that way you can always bump the throttle a bit to speed up. Which is better on the engine and it's easier to need to speed up rather than try to slow down

Excellent, good points made forefathers, thank you very much! I was leaning towards 2. One port, one starboard. Figured it would be easier to bump throttle up than try to slow down. Never really thought of running a single off the stern because of tangle possibilities with boards and lines. Wandering what just one would do as far as steering if it was deployed midship too. Thanks again.

I have a 19ft risen with a 115hp evinrude 2 stroke. I have to run 2 large bags in the spring and fall, then 2 smaller bags in the summer. I prefer the bag per side. I tie them pretty far forward, that way they are out of my way all the time but far enough back I can pull them out easily.

This year I have a kicker so can't wait to see what does and how it works.

Thanks branhamautomotive, never took into consideration different sizes for different times of the season. Harnesses compared to cranks I'm guessing.

Not really that, just as it warms up the boat speed needs to increase. I run cranks year round as well as spoon, and worms. When I had to go from 1mph to 2-2.5, with the big bags they seemed to really pull hard on my cleats. My boat is older and we just switched size to keep the pressure off. I know some ppl will still run bags with their kicker motor not to slow it down, but to give directional stability, and when going into the wave they help keep the bow down if you can get them running some what off the front area.

I have a 21' cobia glass boat with a 350 mercruiser. I have 2 36" bags that I use. I like to troll with the wind and most of the time I use both bags. but when the wind is light I only need 1 bag to get me down to speed. 2 bags just gives better boat control in rough water. and at times with both bags I do have to bump the throttle up just a little. but like said its easier to speed up just a little than to try to slow down.

and you do want trolling bags and not drift socks. you can use trolling bags for drifting but drift bags doesn't fair so well when trolling, I've used both.

There are other bags out there that are every bit as good as Amish Outfitters. Give Skipper 9 a PM or contact David at DreamCatcher baits they both have access to some very, very good trolling bags that will compete directly with AO bags quality wise.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

Appreciate all the info from everyone. Has helped me alot in my decisions. Be safe and FISH ON!! Love this community!

I used a trolling plate for about 30+ yrs. I tried drift socks once and didn't like using them at all. so I kept using the plate. we were up at Geneva oh and found a set of trolling bags in the middle of the road. I tried to find the owner but had no luck. then my oldest son talked me into trying them. haven't used the plate since I started using trolling bags.

I tie them off on my front cleats and let them back far enough to tie the back of the bags off on the bottom of my rod holders. you want to be sure and tie the back of the bags off for the best boat control. you can tie them off to the back cleats also. then if we move we just pull the back rope to pull them in and just lay them over the side of the boat. no need to take them off the front cleats every time you move. good luck out there, and enjoy your bags.