Flare Kit Flare Kit Flare Kit Flare Kit
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flare Kit

Check with your own regular boat insurance policy as well. After this conversation last year I talked to my insurance (progressive) company and added this and an enhanced roadside towing service being I was traveling further with the boat - it was like only $40 a year for both. It did cover the same options for open water service/ towing as the more expensive individual policies, plus a great add on for on the road in case a wheel bearing or whatever went bad.

I have both towing insurance on my boat policy and also Rescue Marine. The towing through the boat insurance policy does not cover taking me back to my dock of origin from ANYWHERE on Lake Erie. If I choose to go 18 miles West for a Spring Jig bite, and I am only 3-4 miles off shore in the Western Basin (still 18 miles from my dock), my insurance policy will take me to shore... but not 18 miles. Same holds true if I go 18 miles East to Vermillion...

With Rescue Marine you register your place of docking and they tow you back to your dock from anywhere on the Lake... Something to check into and be aware of.

-Matt

Rescue Marine for sure. Just got my renewal in todays mail. A few years back, I was 16 miles out with a dead engine and a serious squall on it's way. That lake went from flat to 3-5s in 10 minutes. Wet ride back and seriously puckered but they towed me right to my dock in West Harbor. A guy with me kissed the ground. I think they're headquartered at Schrock's. Great people and worth every dime.

Remember that the Boating and Fishing Regulations are fully enforced on Lake Erie.
    Here is a link to the ODNR guide on what must be carried on your boat:-

http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/requiredequipment
    Roy Page
    Morning Mist II - Pursuit 3000 Express
    Call Roy Page on Channel 79
    Vermilion Ohio
    YouTube Walleye Fishing Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EdlWtjSet3fYh9

Quote Originally Posted by june9042 View Post
    I bought a set at Wal-Mart with gun once they were already expired you have to watch them. You can usually see the date on them through the package
    The freshest flares you will find will be good for a maximum of three years.

I totally agree with the need for the towing insurance. I have had it for 5 years and never had to use it until last spring. I was out about 11 miles with 5 of us on the boat (25"sport craft.) Our anti-siphon valve on the fuel tank went bad and the boat would hardly idle. It would have taken hours to try and idle back, so I called for assistance. They arrived within 30 minutes and took me back to my dock in a hurry.. Put my boat on plane under tow. Signed my name and all was well.

To top it all off i thought the fuel pump was bad or a filter plugged. The tow captain is the one who suggested checking that valve!! It was the first think I did and he was correct.. $30 and an hour later and we went back out to finish the day...

I have the flare kit that's round and holds both the hand held flares and the gun and flares. I've had it for many yrs and just replace the flares every 3 yrs.

you would be surprised at how many little things that can cause a break down on erie. I have a mercruiser and my 1st break down was a broken fan belt. finely got a tow with the help of the coast guard. the guy came back out from the dock and towed me in after dark. I asked what I owed him and he said about 60.00 so I gave him 100.00. the next time I broke down the oil line to my remote oil filter came loose and lost my oil. I was lucky because my youngest son didn't go out with us that day. I had him go buy oil and go to the ramp and get somebody to drop the oil off for us. we were only out about 6 miles in front of Geneva. you could see out boat from the harbor. he got turned down 15 times before someone agreed to drop the oil off. then I got towing insurance.