Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump Great Lakes /trump
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Great Lakes /trump

MILWAUKEE (AP) — A group representing Great Lakes region mayors in the U.S. and Canada is sounding the alarm against potentially drastic cuts to an ecological recovery initiative for the Great Lakes.

The Trump administration's potential cuts to the Great Lakes Restoration Initiative were reported by the Detroit Free Press last week. They would slash annual funding for the $300 million program to $10 million.

The initiative combats invasive species, curbs nutrient-fueled algae blooms, cleans up toxic messes and restores sensitive fish and wildlife habitat.

"Cuts of this magnitude would be devastating to the efforts of our two countries over the past five decades to restore the resource," David Ullrich, executive director of The Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Cities Initiative, told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel for a story published Sunday (http://bit.ly/2mIox0n ). His group represents mayors from more than 125 U.S. and Canadian cities in the Great Lakes basin.

Ullrich said the cuts would also undermine all of the lake restoration and protection efforts underway by local governments, which are collectively far more significant than the federal restoration initiative launched by the Obama administration in 2010.

"Local governments have been investing at over $15 billion per year ... well beyond the federal governments' investments," Ullrich said, "and this would be a major step back from the responsibility shared for this resource."

Conservation groups have also criticized the potential cuts.

"Great Lakes protection is not a partisan issue. No matter how different our backgrounds, Great Lakers value clean water," the Alliance for the Great Lakes said in a statement Friday. "For decades, people of all political affiliations from all corners of the region, have consistently shown strong support for protecting the Great Lakes. And, some of the most critical programs and regulations targeted by President Trump's proposed cuts have been supported by lawmakers on both sides of the aisle."

___

Information from: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, http://www.jsonline.com

I would hope that political position papers be discouraged from this forum. Regardless of how we might feel about these issues, it is still not the place for such. Talking politics is a taboo on my boat for a good reason. I bet I am not alone in thinking this way.

I posted the article for people to be aware. I could care less about politics. I care about the future of the lake we fish and surrounding Great Lakes. Sorry for offending you and others who have taken time to read this article

Quote Originally Posted by Beepum19 View Post
    I posted the article for people to be aware. I could care less about politics. I care about the future of the lake we fish and surrounding Great Lakes. Sorry for offending you and others who have taken time to read this article
    It's cool Bee.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

I think this needs to be posted, discussed like adults and see if anyone wants to get involved for the sake of our fishery! Too much crap going on in politics, this is our little piece of the world and it needs to be protected not just used as a waterway to further business.

Quote Originally Posted by rubycat16 View Post
    I would hope that political position papers be discouraged from this forum. Regardless of how we might feel about these issues, it is still not the place for such. Talking politics is a taboo on my boat for a good reason. I bet I am not alone in thinking this way.
    You do have the option of not opening this thread.

Michigan Sportsman forum already has 9 pages with 15 posts ea page on this already. They hate the laker program up there. I'm done.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

Thanks for posting. We all need to be informed of issues affecting our fishery and its protection

If it is politics that affects the lake then you should absolutely post it! It's easy for some to ignore the effect this could have on our lakes but they will be the first in line to ***** when it becomes a worthless cesspool.

There is alot of wasted money in many other avenues in government. I feel the EPA has gone overboard in some areas. But they do alot of good to. The thought of my kids or future grand kids not being able to have the fun times with friends and family as I did growning up; for then to not have those memories to recall; stories to tell their friends and their kids; truly almost brings me to tears. This body of water has been a rock in my life. The thought of not being able to be on it and use has for sure helped keep out of some trouble in life. Course being on it has gotten me into some too....lol.

I know alot of ppl don't feel the same as I or we do. They don't have our memories, our lives built here on it. Certain things in life are worth fighting for, and as such it pissed some ppl off. That's what makes this country so great. The fact that tens of thousands of ppl have stood up, fought, and died, so we all have the right to say what we are thinking amount other things.

Thank you for those who protect our freedom, I look forward to hearing both sides of this story, even though nothing will convinced me it's a waste of money to keep our waters clean and healthy. Not just for the fishing, the boating, but a simple fact that more than million ppl get there drinking water from the lake . That alone should be enough, but there is so much more to it than that.

I'm all for a reasonable government budget, but many other area can be looked at first in my opinion
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 03-08-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Typos