wire line wire line wire line wire line

Thread: wire line

Default wire line

What's the best type of wire line to use? I have read about single strand and monel but not sure of which to use.any help would be great.

Wow I figured there would be some responces

Quote Originally Posted by zipper View Post
    What's the best type of wire line to use? I have read about single strand and monel but not sure of which to use.any help would be great.
    You have to forgive my fishing friends. They are still hibernating. Most of the captains I know run 12 lb. SS as do I. It is not my method of choice to present lures but there are times when that is the only thing working and that is running out 350' to a swivel and a leader to a snap. Choice of lures is another whole ballgame. FYI: Spring is only a few days away and warm breezes and calm waters will soon follow.

I use American Fishing Wire (AFW) single strand 15 lbs test. I run 250 ft and figure that get the lure an additional 20 ft down. I find any wire over 15 lbs test is to stiff and hard to let out.

We have used all types of wire line over the years and single strand .012 stainless steal wire is the "go to" line. You can by a 5 lb spool for about $135.00 and it will last forever. I can give my set up as this is the most important part of success with using wire line. We use Daiwa SG-3B27 line counters, load 1500 ft of 15# mono, then 900 ft of 30#braid (Power Pro) then 250 ft of .012 wire. We troll 5 lines a side with the planner boards out 250+ ft so if you didn't use the braid segment the wire drops from the rod tip to the attachment point on the board line and tangles in rough water and/or high winds. Also when measuring the wire segment always use a ruled measure on land, don't rely on the line counter with the reel for the wire segment. July and August are primary crankbait months for us using wire all of the time. Hope this helps getting you started with wire line.