another crankbait question another crankbait question another crankbait question another crankbait question

Default another crankbait question

If I would let out 200 feet of mono line with a reef runner 800 that dives to 30 feet and added a 3 ounce weight how deep would that put me?

I do not have the funds for a trolling bible and got myself so confused looking on the Internet

I would have to get my book.out on the 800RR but 200' should get the maximum depth of the RR. As far as the 3oz, your missing some information. Typically all you do is look up a 3 oz at 40' get you to a certain depth and add that to what your RR is running. Hope that helps.

Very speed dependent and where are you hooking the weight in. 50 feet back with the weight and line out a 100 and a RR800 will get to 40 feet approximately, at 2.0. But slow to 1.5 and it drastically drops. I am not perfect with those depths mentioned but in the ball park. Other folks use the same method of weight but put a lot closer to the lure. This will actually get you down further and is very speed dependent. RR800 at 1.8mph, 2 oz weight in front of the leader, will get you close to 40. The slower the deeper.

Thanks for the reply guys.so please correct me if I am wrong but if I would use a snap weight 50 feet in front of the lure would I use the dive curve of the snap weight say it's 30 feet at 70 back then add the dive curve of the crankbait?

Precision trolling app. Don't gotta spend $300+ on the bible. Think the app without lifetime updates is $70. Otherwise just buy a few lures and snap weights at 1.99 each. Even at $100 that's only 1 rod/reel, 12 stock bandits, 8 or so custom lures.....

The easy way!!! This spring find an open space of water with a clean bottom with 50 ft a long stretch easy to find on Lake Erie. Choose you speed choose a day with little wind . Monitor line out slowly until you begin hitting the bottom save the results . speed and line diameter as well as type of lure. Change speed slower and faster write down results.. This will give you a place to start. That will end the what iffs.
    Years ago a guy told me how to do this. The fish arn't always at 50ft . Remember you need to keep the lure 3-5 ft above the fish.
    Good luck

There was Alot of discussion on this topic recently on Ohio game and fish.From what I gathered from reading the info given, when trolling around 1mph in this cold water,the weight really affects the depth more than at faster speeds.Most guys are using 2oz weight and putting it 20 ft in front of the crackbaits before more line and attaching to board.Not many using 3oz now.Did see where very experienced troller said he would look at chart for that weight and lead for depth,then add on the remaining depth of the crank run at remaining lead.

My calculation is RR w 200 line out w 2oz = 36..
    200 ft line out... =28 Plus the 2 oz... adding 4 ft per oz so add 8 . .at 2mph. .. so 28+8=36 ...

add 6-8 (or more) per oz at slower speeds...so say add (w 2oz attached at slow speed) 16 feet at .8-1 mph would take it to 44 ft...

Note: Weight at 20 ft from lure ...

Your results may vary....

Experiment in say 45 ft of water.(area w sandy bottom!) .. if you hit or occ tick bottom... then these numbers hold... if not youre above 45...adjust from there...
    Last edited by ltracey; 02-26-2017 at 01:41 PM.