Using count down method Using count down method Using count down method Using count down method
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Using count down method

Can someone describe fishing technique for using the count down method?
    Do you use weapons?
    Are weapons the same as a worm harness?
    Is this a spring technique, or most anytime?

Thanks

Just like stated. Cast out, once the bait hits the water. Start counting slowly like seconds. This gives you an idea of where to repeat or to either go deeper or shallower. Roughly 15 seconds, is 15 ft down. In ideal conditions. When you are drifting faster, almost trolling due to higher winds. You add counts to get deeper.
    A weapon is typically a 12 to 16" long harness with either single or double hooks using an egg weight slid over the harness loop allowing distance to your cast. You tye a small bead into the loop to stop the weight from sliding down the harness. Some start with 1/2oz as a base weight. Change the weight when you go very shallow or when wanting to go deeper than say 20ft. But typically, a bouncer/harness in a rod holder covers the lower depths while you cast/cover the shallower depths.
    Typically work very well once the water is around 53* or higher. All the way thru till fall.

I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

The only other thing I would add is if your planning on building your own weapons, make sure to use fluorocarbon material. Fluorocarbon is much less visible than regular monofilament. Catch rates are almost always better with fluorocarbon than mono.

Can you post a couple of pictures?

Awesome info......much appreciated
    Boat: The Colin 'T'
    24' Glastron WA
    Colin Off Charters
    Monitor channel 79

Reside in Columbus, OH. Have place in Perrysburg, OH.

The "count down" method of drift fishing is what the name implies. Once the lure hits the water and starts to sink you count in seconds the time until you begin your retrieve. The time interval determines the depth of the lure at the beginning of the retrieve, but not 1-1. One second represents a variety of sinking speeds, depths, depending on several factors like lure weight and design, attached bait, line size, etc. Thus "count" in seconds how far "down" the lure is.

The purpose is to try different depths and see which one produces the best. Lure design and weight, speed of retrieve and drift, line size, all are factors in keeping the lure at a particular depth as long as possible. Typically you first determine the depth the walleye are at with the fish finder (best you can) and start there. Then try the count down method to match that depth. It takes practice and knowing your lures / equipment. Once you find a count that is producing catches, everyone gets on that count, matching retrieve speed, etc.
    Last edited by West Basin; 01-21-2017 at 01:07 PM. Reason: add content

nice description west basin on how to cast for walleye.Great thread on ohio game and fish website.Go to lake erie general discussions and read Eye-Keepers Charters drift &Cast info thread by hearttxp.Huge amount of info in that thread on how to cast for walleye.Will be worth it since the next few years will be very productive for casting to the walleye that came out of the two great hatches from 2014 and 2015.

Searched for that thread on Ohio Game & Fish. Couldn't find it. Any way you could post it? Thanks

It is at the top with the sticky's

http://www.ohiogamefishing.com/threa...thread.192556/
    Last edited by ebijack; 01-26-2017 at 04:51 PM.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.