Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hey, Dennis
    I agree with Wakina. I went through different styles and sizes of rods,I like the gx2 ugly stick, I got the 7' 1piece ,med heavy, model .I choose the med heavy to help getting those sheep spinners in. Very Nice rod without breaking the bank,

I personally like the Cabela's Depthmaster brand. In particular, the DM-PB-86M.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishi...Tz_stype%3DGNU

This model is an 8'6" medium action designed for Planer Boards. However, it's a good all around action, not only for boards, but also for dipsey's/Jets or even flat lining. What I particularly like about these rods is that they are teloscopic. When "collapsed", they are not more than 6- 6 1/2' long so they fit in my rod lockers easier. I can rig my lures at home, collapse the rod, stick it in my locker, and when I get to the lake and start setting lines, all I have to do is pull the rod out to full length and let out line. I have a smaller boat (18'), so rod storage space is limited and at a premium. With two piece rods, if you try to leave the rod rigged and then take it apart and put it in your locker, you'll have a mess after they've slammed around on the ride out (experience talking here!!!). I think they are $45 new, but I've never paid more than $30 for one as I just swing by the store and check the Bargain Cave, there is almost always one or two in there. Many times, these are combo returns where the Depthmaster reel malfunctioned. Since the rod was used, they can't just slam a new reel on it and call it good, they have to sell it used. The Depthmaster reels don't have the most reliable counters on them and that's what cause them to get returned.

My only exception is for leadcore. I have a 9' lighter action (downrigger design?) to absorb the shock of the no-stretch characteristics of the leadcore. However, I don't use LC much on Erie, so I don't leave it rigged.

Just my 2 cents...Hope this helps!!!
    Last edited by Polar Eyes; 12-20-2016 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Merchandise link added
    18' Polar Kraft SC
    90 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke
    Minn Kota 70# i-Pilot
    Lowrance HDS 8 GenII
    Lowrance HDS 7 Touch

Check dick's 50% off okuma convector reels..

http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/prod...wrd=convecgtor

OK Dennis, just what have you decided on? Or are you just waiting on as to what Santa is bringing you. Merry Christmas to you and the family.

Gene

I decided on, and ordered 2, medium BWS 1101 70 Ugly Stix, Got free shipping, total with tax, $85.71 for both.
    They have Stainless steel guides with aluminum oxide inserts. They have the clear type tips, EVA Rod handle material, 6 guides, Rod handle type c.
    They fit my rod holders well, the reel will not hit the end of the tubes when placed in them. The 7 footer should work well with my rod holder trees. I like the strength of the one piece also. I wish they had hook clasps but do not, so I will install my own.
    I think they will fit my needs?
    Now all I have to do is wait what seems like forever to use them 3 months and counting.

Thanks everyone for the input, MERRY CHRISTMAS, Dennis
    Last edited by D.D.E.; 12-25-2016 at 10:53 AM.