Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods Advice needed before buying trolling rods
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advice needed before buying trolling rods

I have been looking at Okuma trolling rods, their are so many I am not sure which ones to buy. I plan on using offshore boards with a variety of lures, deep diving cranks, even worm harness weapons, with weight if needed. I seen on you tube they recommend a rod with stout backbone and a softer tip. I am not sure on what length to get also. Does anyone know what models Okuma (name,) or what other mid price range rods you may recommended. So far I have a Okuma Cold Water reel with line counter. I plan on using 30# Suffix 832 line.
    Thank you in advance for your recommendations,
    Dennis

I don't know how hard you are on equipment . The Shakespeare gx2 model either one piece or two would serve you well. There are no ceramic eyes to become loose as all the guides are stainless steel, they run about $40 each I don't think you can find a better rod with the durability they provide than the GX2 at that price range.
    The one piece 7' model are usually available at Walmart. I personally like the 7 ' model.
    Last edited by wakina; 12-15-2016 at 09:35 PM.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I am no expert here, but these are the ones we use. I have used them on big boards, small boards, dipseys, have worked very well with 10 pounders but still showed 14 inchers. My only wish is that it was 6 to 12 inches shorter, but we have a small boat we fish in the fall and 7ft gets big on it, but in summer on our 25ft it's no issue. But since everything has to work since I can't own poles for summer and fall, I am very pleased with these. Buy far not the most expensive.

Mine is the older model with black tips, but I think tip color was the only change. They packaged these well and ca me quickly. We bought 10, I wish I would had bought a few spares to have just in case so every thing would still match

northwoodsoutlet.com/product/okuma-classic-pro-rod/

Should have added they are 2pc for easy storage, and at only 13 bucks hard to beat.

Dennis, the Classic Pro's are good mine are now set aside for backup the GLT's are probably just as good. I changed over to Ugly Stix at 6'6" and 1pc. and easy storage on the boat. Wakina my chime in.. He's been awful quiet lately.

Gene

I changed over to okuma deadeyes last year and they work ok. I like the softer tip cause its easier to see the draggers. But the 7'10" that i have seem to be hitting me in the head alot when i'm trying to net. Probably going back to shorter rods this year. If i do, i will have 14 okuma deadeye rods up for sale.

i am switching to shorter rods have 12 okuma 8ft 6 rods will give you great deal on if you like longer rods

I like a 7' Med rod for trolling. I've been using the now discontinued CAL1100 Ugly Sticks for 20 years, and have been happy with them. Customers can't destroy them, and the most I ever have to do to them is glue a rod eye insert back in from time to time.
    I bought some extras when I found out they were going to be discontinued, and will have them for several years to come yet.
    Wish I had bought more though....oh well. There will come a time when I have to find another rod to replace these.

So, I'm watching this thread for that info too.
    Captain Julia "Juls" Davis
    [email protected]
    www.julswalleyefishingadventures.com
    https://www.facebook.com/JulsWFA?ref=br_rs
    Specializing in 1-3 person walleye and perch charters

Have used CAL 1102 for a long time getting to the place where I need to replace them because they no longer make them. Watching thread also.

We use the 7' ml shimano Talora rods and love them. Lots of good rods out there! I like a more sensitive rod for big boards.

Thanks,
    Capt Erik
    www.eyehuntercharters.com
    Last edited by bowguy84; 12-17-2016 at 08:05 AM.