Walleye Season Finale Walleye Season Finale Walleye Season Finale Walleye Season Finale

Default Walleye Season Finale

After numerous aborted attempts (due to weather on available days off) to make it to Lake Erie toward the end of the summer, I finally got in a trip to Catawba SP yesterday. I didn't get the numbers I hoped for, but I did pick up my biggest walleye ever. It was 29 inches and weighed in at 10.1 pounds. Caught him trolling a Reef Runner 800 Lemonade 65 feet back in 23 feet of water. Had a hit on a Husky Jerk Clown 100 feet back, but lost him.

The big fella was the only fish I boated, but what a way to shut down my season. I launched out of Catawba, headed straight west then trolled NE. I wanted to go out near the islands, but the chop started getting a little heavier than I felt comfortable tackling for my first trip in my Lund 1775. So, I played it safe, which likely resulted in my limited catch. I did mark several fish in close, but couldn't get much action. The water was dingy, so maybe that played a part. I've fished with friends on their boats and on charters, but I'm fairly new to chasing walleye on my own. I've got learnin' to do. I did marked several balls of what I'm guessing we're perch in around 15 FOW. I guess I should've brought some minnows along.

So, while I only caught one fish, to me, it was worth the 2.5-hour (one way) drive. Thanks to everyone who reports on this forum. It's been a great help to me as I try to narrow down places and learn how to fish this lake. I cannot wait for early Spring.

Chad

Very nice!!!!

Given the water temp this time of year, it's smart to never challenge the Ol' Green Lady as she can be a b!tch!!!, especially when still learning a new boat. I've got an 18' Polar Kraft that is the same class of boat as your Lund and with this being the end of my 4th season on the lake (I've owned the boat for 6 fishing seasons, but lived in MN for two of them), I'm just now getting comfortable in fishing in a little rougher water (but still nothing stupid!!!).
    18' Polar Kraft SC
    90 HP Yamaha 4 Stroke
    Minn Kota 70# i-Pilot
    Lowrance HDS 8 GenII
    Lowrance HDS 7 Touch

Nice fish. Glad to hear at least 1 big fish has made it back, if the south winds are too much for us on wed, we might try to find protection from the wind between main land and the islands

A few weeks ago, my friend and I caught a two-man limit, including a 7 pounder fishing in his boat northeast out of Huron. So I had high hopes for Sunday, but from what I've read in a couple of places, not many did well out of Catawba that day. I went there instead of Huron on the forecast that the south winds would calm down the water. Waves started around a foot, but the south wind picked up considerably, and the farther out we got we started getting into 3-footers. Being a novice on the big lake, I definitely didn't want to risk it.