Cold water eyes Cold water eyes Cold water eyes Cold water eyes

Thread: Cold water eyes

Default Cold water eyes

Wanting everyone's opinion on cold water boating safety gear. Looking forward on hopefully get some late fall trips in for eyes and curious as to what gear to wear for cold water survival. Survival suits seem very bulky and cumbersome for actual fishing scenarios. Any other thoughts on this. Appreciate any input.

In cold weather you don't have time to pull out life vests, throw float etc so they should be at the ready as best as you can. Also 25ft of unwrapped cheap (nylon) floating rope tied to your throw float. The rope should float so anyone who is in that cold water can swim/thrash to the rope cause they will never get to a float. It will keep being pushed away as you try to swim towards it in panic mode. The rope you can get to and pull the float to yourself.
    Put/stuff a micro fiber around your neck area to keep water and cold air from going down the gap between your chin/neck. Really does make a difference.
    Extra gloves.
    A solar blanked to wrap around anyone that requires warmth.
    Bag of play sand (in truck) to use at the ramp for traction. You can get a ticket for using salt in some areas. Been there.
    Hot hands for wrists and feet.
    Plug livewell openings on the transom to keep water from entering the hoses/livewell.... Good place to store stuff you require fast access to.
    Food for carbohydrates to help the body warm up.
    If you have an open boat. Motorcycle helmets or snowmobile helmets really help to keep you warm while running.
    Take your time while fishing! Accidents happen more often when in a rush.
    If you have a small cooler. You can preheat some aluminum foil wrapped bricks/rocks in your oven to 350*. Place those into the cooler with towels to take up all air space. They will last for a 4 to 5 hr fishing trip to have something really warm to hold to warm your hands if/when required quickly. Safer than taking a heater.
    Battery jump box
    That is off the top of my head.
    Hope it helps.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

Thanks ebijack for taking the time to lay out good tips. I have all the necessary safety equipment and it's always within quick reach. Excellent point on the sand at the ramp too. I was thinking that somewhere I saw a piece of apperal like gore tex thinsulate coveralls which incorporates a pfd already built into them? Any thoughts?

You mean these? There are a couple other brands out there nowadays.
    http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recre...175?country=25
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.

M.A.D. Eyes check out Striker Ice they have some high quality insulated floation suits. I have a set and it's the warmest I've ever owned presently. And if in an emergency it keeps you floating until hopefully you get help. They have demonstration videos on it. Check it out

Thank you very much GlennD. I will check that out at Striker ice. Sounds like what I'm interested in.