Steelhead in the western basin...? Steelhead in the western basin...? Steelhead in the western basin...? Steelhead in the western basin...?

Default Steelhead in the western basin...?

I recently purchased a big enough boat to get me on the big lake. My dad and I would really like to get into some Steelhead. Are there any good opportunities in the western basin for Steelhead? When and how would be greatly appreciated!

The words "Steelhead" and "Western Basin" usually don't go together...... We all seem to stumble into a steelhead occasionally, usually only in the early spring. Although I did see a nice 28" steelie caught near West Sister in July 2015. That fish was definately lost!

If all you want is steelies, probably best to stay east..... or head towards Wheatley, Ontario in July and August, about 35nm from Catawba. Good luck!
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Thanks for the info captain!!! Looks like we're in for a road trip.

I have never fished for steelies, but I hear conneaut this time of year does well

If you're looking for salmon you may want to look into Lake Michigan. I know there are plenty of steelies in Erie, but Michigan is renowned for it the way Erie is for eyes.

Good luck!

There are really good runs of steelhead in the Vermillion River and most of the rivers east of there. The Rocky River in Cleveland is well known for excellent steelhead fishing amongst many others. Many do not know this. My brother in law lives in Cleveland and does very well for steelhead. I've seen video's of guys trolling the mouths and hooking up well over 20 steelhead in a day. Do a little research and you might be surprised about the Lake Erie Steelhead fishery. I know this isn't the Western Basin, but it's very near. As far as when, right now through the winter is excellent for steelhead. The actually started gathering at river mouths several weeks ago. My brother in law likes casting or trolling jointed rapalas and of course spoons are pretty much a staple lure for steelhead.
    Last edited by walleye2go; 10-27-2016 at 12:20 PM.
    Captain Greg
    Walleye2go Sportfishing

I hear conneaut is the same way