Are cast nets illegal? I need some advice... Are cast nets illegal? I need some advice... Are cast nets illegal? I need some advice... Are cast nets illegal? I need some advice...

Default Are cast nets illegal? I need some advice...

I have a nice big round cast net that I was going to use in East Harbor to catch some minnows...
    Someone told me that cast nets are illegal in Lake Erie, and East & West Harbor unless they are square and small.

Anyone know the facts?

Thanks!
    Matt

Here you go Matt I believe this is still valid today and I assume would apply to cast nets as well. Looks like you are good as long as it is under 72 inches (6 feet) which is most of the stuff a normal person would have. I talked to somebody about this a couple weeks ago and they mentioned the biggest thing with shiners is getting a dip net with holes small enough to actually catch them. They told me what size of netting you would need but it has slipped my mind this morning. The typical smallest netting you can easily find will let the small shiners through and act like a gill net and the larger size which can be a pain to clear out.

(F) Minnow seines - minnow dip nets

(1) In the lake Erie fishing district and other waters wherein fishing with nets is licensed by law, and in East and West harbors, Ottawa county, it shall be lawful for any person to use a minnow seine of any length or width, or a minnow dip net not exceeding seventy-two inches on a side to take minnows, cray fish, and larval aquatic insects; however, it shall be unlawful for any person:

(a) To have in possession or use a seine or dip net with a square mesh larger than one-half inch on a side;

(b) To have in possession or use a dip net having any side greater than seventy-two inches;

(c) To have in possession or use a seine having other than straight sides.
    Last edited by miso_ohio; 10-18-2016 at 05:26 AM.

Quick update this is in the fishing regulations for this year and directly mentions cast nets, the bummer here may be no mesh hols size less then 1/4 inch, Included the section about minnow traps as well which may be the better option for personal use. I see no specific regulations in there relating to Lake Erie and its tributaries for any sort of minnow or forage fish netting.

CAST NETS
    Forage fish and minnows may be taken with cast nets. It is unlawful to use a cast net with a square mesh less than ¼ inch or larger than 1 inch on a side, or with a diameter greater than 10 feet. It is illegal to use a cast net within a distance of 1,000 feet downstream from any dam posted with ODNR Division of Wildlife signs indicating cast net use is prohibited.

MINNOW OR BAIT FISH TRAPS
    It is illegal for anglers to possess or use a min-now or bait fish trap larger than 24 inches in length and 12 inches in width. Additionally, possessing or using a minnow or bait fish trap with an opening larger than 1 inch is illegal. A tag must be attached to the trap(s) with the owners name and address, or the customer identification number

Thank you, kind sir!

I did read what you posted and also read the ODNR site. What do you think about the rule that says that the net has to have straight sides? You think that means that we can't use round ones?

The other rules say it can't be longer than 72" on any side... How many sides does a circle have? Lol. Jk

I do wonder if ODNR enforces the "straight side" of that reg.

I may have to corner some officer on the docks and ask them.

-Matt

I believe if you google up minnow seine and dip nets most of the ones I am seeing are of the squared/rectangular variety. The important thing to notice is that they are legal in Lake Erie and the harbors so there is no reason why a cast net would not be otherwise they would be called out in the regulations.

Actually after posting all of that I started looking up shiners and Lake Erie on YouTube and there was a lot of good video's out there on catching shiners, some in area that I recognize as well. Seems most people are using Umbrella/Dip nets to get them. I will probably end up ordering one of those to try and catch and freeze a bunch in the spring for later in the year, I know in April they are so thick you could walk on water in the marina around the harbors.