Walleye Run Walleye Run Walleye Run Walleye Run

Thread: Walleye Run

Default Walleye Run

I know its still months away, but im going to start watching for all the hooks and tackle that I will be donating to,i mean fishing the maumee and sandusky river with this year. I have a few questions regarding legalities. What is the proper way to measure a hook from shank to point? And also why doesnt anyone take an erie dearie for example, put on a smaller hook, and bait it with a worm. Or tip jigs with minnows? I havent really seen anyone doing anything like that and have been curious. Any and all answers would be apprecited. Thanks and tight lines!

Most common setup used is the Carolina Rigged 3" twister. Usually use 1/2 to 3/4 oz weight, depending on the current, with a 3-5 foot leader. My preferred choice for line is 10lb braid for my main, and 8 lb mono for leader. I like goin lighter on the leader so you only lose the floating jig if you get snagged.

Erie Deeries have a hook thats too big. Also, with the fast currents, live bait has a tough time staying on the hook. Both rivers have tons of snags and you'll be losing plenty of tackle so you're better off losing cheap jigs opposed to an expensive Deerie.

Anything that may catch fish is worth a try, but those methods seem to produce the most fish during the run.

Here's a link with lots of useful information.

http://www.maumeeriverwalleyerun.com/default.aspx

There is also a Facebook page called "Maumee River Walleye Run- Past, Present, and Future"

Thanks for the info. Any idea on how to measure the hook size? Thanks

I believe it's from the point of the hook across to the shank. I'm sure someone else can confirm this.
    Thanks Matt

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Ok iv been measurin from the point to the float soni wanted to check that thanks