A change of pace... A change of pace... A change of pace... A change of pace...
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Nice work! It's been a long time since I've fished out of Pt. Breeze and it sounds like this year is one of the best ever so far.

Jiga-Byte,
    We were up the whole week of Memorial Day. I have been busy with the duties that a young family brings so I haven’t been back up since. Stop me next time you see us up on I dock!

Dgf2250
    “No 'reading the Rod tips' required. The Rod explodes!” Lol, it’s not hard to read a fish trying to rip the dipsey diver rod out of the gunwale. 

My Trophy Wife / Dgf 2250 / Billy Joe,
    Lets us know how you guys do out of Lake Michigan and Olcott!

MageeEast
    I saw your post about running up to Wheatly for steelhead. I have threatened the idea for years hearing of people making the long run from the Islands past Peele but the gas prices and unpredictable Lake Erie weather forecasts have held me back. There was a guy on the old WBSA message threads that seemed to do it regularly with success. I cannot remember his name though.

Was it Steve Carlson? I know he used to run from Lorain up there. I usually drive up and ramp in at either Wheatley or Erieau.

DGF2250. My 2 buddies just left Lake Ontario after fishing this morning. We were going to be there till Sunday (I was heading up after work today). They caught 2 Steelhead. 1 skippy & 1 about 5 lbs. Lots of boats out early but by the time they got back to the launch (11:45) 1 trailer in parking lot. The East wind that's supposed to hit this weekend will shut those fish right down into the mud. Those fish are different than walleye. You get an East wind & they shut down in a heartbeat. I've heard it has something to do with the oxygen content in the water & the down currents. Not sure if that's it or not. But I've seen the shutdown happen many many times over the 20 years I've been fishing Ontario.

It's a shame because I was talking to a guy who live up there in the Olcott area & he said they were slamming the kings this summer.

And you're absolutely correct on the tackle. Not much more than what you mentioned is needed. Maybe magnum spoons & flasher/fly combos. Best investment you can make if you're going to fish salmon regulary is a down speed & temp probe.

And when a salmon hits you'll have a hard time getting the rod out of the rod holder!! No mistaking a salmon or steelhead hit.