Fish Finder Fish Finder Fish Finder Fish Finder

Thread: Fish Finder

Default Fish Finder

I bought a new Lowrance Elite 7 Chirp combo it works great when I'm trolling but as soon as I speed up I get a lot of clutter. Does anyone have an idea what to try?

Usually clutter at speed is caused by air bubbles under the boat hull interfering with the transducer. One way to help eliminate it is to use a thru hull transducer

I have the exact same unit and have the same problem. I went to Bass Pro where I bought it and they said to try lowering the transducer a quarter inch below the bottom of the boat. I've lowered it but haven't had a chance to try it. My unit wouldn't even show depth when running over 15 mph. I am really disappointed in the unit.

If you are losing bottom at 15mph try going to manual sensitivity and turning it up. Might have clutter but will pick up the bottom a lot better also

First make sure your transducer is not inline with anything protruding from the bottom of your boat, such as being inline with a row of rivets etc. Use a straight edge coming out from the bottom of your hull and make sure transducer is approx. a 1/4-3/8" below and tilted slightly forward, in other words so the water coming off your bottom can smack the transducer on its face. Having the transducer tilted even slightly toward the rear will cause air bubbles. You might need to play with the depth and angle of the transducer a bit, it won't take much change to make a real difference in your reading. I have a riveted aluminum hull and it took a bit of adjusting to get it right but it now reads well at 35mph. Good luck.

I never loose a bottom reading just get a lot of clutter but I'll try to lower it some. Thanks

I have a garmin on my 19ft renken, would not read anything when on plane, had the transducer level but below the bottom a touch, tipped down slightly in the rear, reads all the time now.

I have a Lund Tyee and put the elite 7 on it. It took several trips and adjustments to get to read. I still get some clutter but you can tell the fish spikes from it. get it as far away from the prop wash as possible and use a straight edge off the bottom of boat so the transducer sits halfway down on inside edge. Run it and have someone watch to make sure it is skimming the water and it is in the cleanest water coming off the boat. (make sure it does not line up with rows of rivets). Then mark some walleye at trolling speed and check the tail marks this will tell you up or down. I can see the bottom and fish running 35mph (I still get some clutter at this speed). Glass haul is alot better image due to is smooth haul design. This unit has been good to me,I like it better than the hds unit I have for sonar and I even put the airmar p66 transducer on the hds to try for a better image. Almost forgot, put a tranducer board on the boat. You can get them at Cabelas or if you have a 3/4 piece of umhw will work.(saves holes in the transom)