Boat Boat Boat Boat
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat

Exclamation Boat

OK I'm looking at 1990 Thompson 24' Hardtop an was wondering the pros an cons of these boats and what I should look for. Also the deck is like painted Gray and I was wondering if if can get it painted white like the majority of the charter captains boats deck is. Also I know the Sport crafts are big on Erie an i was wondering why are they so popular. Thanks

they are nice heavy good Lake Erie boats,
    Watch out for Stringers and Transom, make sure they are in good shape. Could be a costly repair and these boats are known for that issue.
    Also Thompson for some reason under powered the boats , The V6 is not enough, but they did have the option V8.

Sport Craft is a good boat also, but again in any boat that age make sure you check the stringers. the reason you see so many they are a lot of boat for the money. I had one a 27 off shore.

There are a lot of boats out there for sale so make sure you do your homework, and have somebody look at it that knows how to survey.

I personally currently have a 25 Grady White and had to put stringers in it , luckily I knew it when bought and was able to do it myself. Now have a GREAT boat .

yes Captain tacky is totally right definitely check the transom and stringers I bought a 85 Pursuit and I was ignorant about the transom and stringers and had to replace that and it was very costly

Good advice from both prior responses....

Structural.. and mechanical ... and...fittings/cleats/and... and...and...

Suggest consulting with a marine surveyor or at least a knowledgeable friend.....

Don't make a uninformed decision...if you dont know ...ask... what you dont know will cost you!

Bought my first boat this year, I suggest a good boat broker to represent you. Paul at Catawba Moirings knows what to watch for, guides you through the process and makes sure you don't get in trouble with problems.

Congrats!

I agree with all said, we had 24 ft thompson ht years ago, my brother owned another one, both had 350 v8. Good fishing boats, can handle alot of water, but they do ride a little rougher in 4s plus especially if you try to go too fast, but slow down the ride gets better. We were caught out in water 7 to 8 more than once, never felt unsafe.

Byron,give me a call I have something you might like

419 382-7138

I have a 94 Thompson 240. Not all Thompsons are created equal.

Some have a Mercruiser outdrive with anything from a wimpy 4 cylinder job to an adequate-for-calm-water 6 cylinder to a useful V8. Others have a Volvo Penta Duoprop outdrive with a 5.0 Volvo V8. Which is what I have.

Not the biggest V8, and it has the issue that it's hard to tune down enough to troll, but it certainly has enough power for the job. I've also gotten stuck out in 7-8 footers and other than being a miserable ride, never felt in danger. It was a solid no frills boat, that appealed to my folks when they bought it in that it had high gunwales and transom. Maybe it's a bit high to pee over the side, but I certainly appreciate that extra foot of sidewall over the sportcrafts and bajas and such.

I never knew it had issues with the stringers or transom; mine is sound enough, but then it was a generation later than yours, made right as Thompson was going under... dunno if they changed the design or not in the interim, but if it's a known issue, do check on it. Otherwise they are very solid and well made boats, and it's a puzzle to me why they went out of business.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron View Post
    Sport crafts are big on Erie an i was wondering why are they so popular. Thanks
    They sit lower in the water allowing (most of the time) a perfect sideways to the wind drift in 15+ MPH winds. Better ride than a comparable Thompson. The 27 and 30fter Sportcraft drift great in a 20MPH wind. The lower sides are a better fit to drift fish using bouncers and casting (why charters use them). If your only trolling, the ride is better in the Sportcraft. The Thompson cabin area is nicer for family friends where you do not get that much area in the Sportcraft. More open area for fishing. Just depends on your wants/needs.
    I can only hope I have earned the freedom that has been given me.