Dialed in. Dialed in. Dialed in. Dialed in.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dialed in.

Default Dialed in.

Left Meinkes to go perching. Great marks so decided to troll on the way to the perch spot. Didn't even put a perch pole in the water. Running dhj 60-75 back 17 fow by intake. 8 in cooler. Lost 9 because i NEVER remember to take my net or they shake the hook off when removing boards. Only 1 throwback exactly 15"
    Fished from 7pm-9pm. Talk about non stop action. My 12 year old had a blast trying to run 4 boards lol. He did great!

Any advice on how to not lose fish when removing boards? I'm thinking it's because i change speed. Normally ill slow down to idle when a fish hits. Just fast enough to keep the other boards upright and away from the boat. Maybe too slow?

I'd try not slowing down and when taking board off keep slack out of the line. How far off intake was you?

Between Meinkes and intake. Maybe 2 miles from intake. Hard to say exactly. I was in 17 fow is all i know for certain. The plan was to perch fish by the intake. Never made it that far.

While I'm here asking questions.....
    I switched my release clips out for Scotty clips. I have to wrap the line through both clips to avoid the line from sliding. I use 30 lb braid. Why does my line slide? Wrapping around the clips makes it difficult to take the board off and causes it to slack up when it finally releases. Any advice here? Ive never been able to just snap the pole and release the bait side clip, or even have a fish do it when it hits. (i always assumed thats how the boards were supposed to work. Allowing them to fall back behind the boat when a fish hits)
    Sorry if that question doesn't make much sense. Wasn't sure how to word it...

I never slow when a fish hits, the drag from forward movement keeps the fish pinned on the hook as long as the person removing the board doesn't let the line snap back after the board is off. EX: person reeling in gets board 3 or 4 ft from rod tip and bring line close enough for someone to grab the board, person removing board grabs line and pulls a little more in to take pressure off rod side of line but leave the lure side taught to the fish, removes board, slowly lets line back to put pressure on rod again and then reeler can continue bringing fish to boat.

Thanks for the advice. Everything i know about lake erie walleye fishing is from people on this site. Its taken me 3 years, hundreds of questions and hours reading posts, and countless solo trips practicing and perfecting techniques. I normally fish by myself or with friends who have no idea what a planer board or reef runner is lol so the knowledge shared on this site is invaluable. Ive even referred a few buddies to this site for a crash course before we go out so they at least have an idea of what's going on. Thanks again for all the help and advice!

We always take the front clip off first and tell the person to start reeling while getting to the back pin. Brad does like to slip and for that reason I use 17# mono. I used to wrap the front clip but it is a hassle to get that free, with the mono once in a great while it will slip probable because of not getting the line far enough into the clip. Never slow down.
    F Troop 9th Cav 1st Air Cav

If interested I would be happy to ride along and share my techniques for solo board removal on a day you can't find anyone to go. Sometimes I think solo is easier than having newbies out there with you.

General rule of thumb - keep steady tension on the line at all times when you have a fish on.

This includes both giving the fish slack, or pulling too hard. Its easy enough to have fish get off the hook when you execute perfectly, so there's no need to help them out by jerking the line or giving them slack.

Its my opinion, but if I have a fish on a dipsy or jet - just reel it in, even if you think you're fighting the diver too. I have seen too many times where a customer tries to "trip" a diver when they have a fish on, and lose the fish because of the jerk.

Likewise, when spanking a line loose from a tow line on big boards, or unclipping an inline board, you have to be sure not to drop that rod tip and give the fish slack line.

From now on, assuming you remember your net .. pay attention to how often fish can come unhooked in the net.

STEADY TENSION. No pumping and reeling like a bass fisherman either!!!!

This is my first year running inlines, we found unclipping the front, then the rear, while I still have the rear, crank the reel to my hand withe the tip slightly upwards, when my finger hits the poke eye, I let go.

We lose less this way. We have the or snapper clips and used braid. Sonetimes in good waves we have to wrap it wven. I can tighten the snapper down but too much tighter and it feels like the clip will break when closing it. My rear clip is churches braid clip and have to wrap it all the time. But neither give too much issues coming off. When I wrap both I leave a little loop, helps it come off it seems

What I am having issues with especially whit wormharness, say I get a bit on the outside board that does not stay or trip the diver, either my jet, my tadpoke, mini dipsy, tried them all. So my diver is still diving, bringing the outside in over the inside gets tangled sonetimes. Not sure how to fix this. I run my deeper leads inside too. Not trying to hijack here will start a new thread when I have a few more mins
    Last edited by branhamautomotive; 07-07-2016 at 05:18 PM.