Bandit's Bandit's Bandit's Bandit's
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bandit's

Also what about color choice in the jets?

I have all of the colors in the TT-40 divers and have found that the color has little effect on catching fish. It may make a difference in the clearer waters in the central basin though but does not seem to bother the fish in the western basin maybe due to the murky water.
    Wakina
    23 foot Pro Line
    HDS 5X Sonar
    HDS 5M GPS
    Navonics chip, model #DMSD/649P+
    Platinum Plus Lake Erie and Lake St Clair Marine.
    Raymarine Dragonfly7 Sonar-Downvision-GPS combo with chirp technology.
    Navonics Hotmaps Premium East chip

I think we are going have to run bigger spoons and crankbaits this year. 2014 was a pretty good hatch and remember catching quite a few 8" walleye while perch fishing last fall those fish will probably be about 12-14" now. So the bigger baits may cut down on how many short Walleyes you catch

Thanks guys! I have a good supply of bigger spoons also, stingers,yeck zippers,dream weaver slims. Your help will save me valued time. I have 20 jets but the area's im going to fish is only in the 30' range or a little more, my dive chart says I can get 30, if I have to, if not i got lead. Keep reading reviews above paint chipping off spoons so i gave them a couple extra topcoats

Quote Originally Posted by wakina View Post
    Also what about color choice in the jets?

I have all of the colors in the TT-40 divers and have found that the color has little effect on catching fish. It may make a difference in the clearer waters in the central basin though but does not seem to bother the fish in the western basin maybe due to the murky water.
    I must agree with Wakina. I too have several of just about every color TT and pay no attention when we are replacing them on the rods while fishing. When I set everything up on shore I usually grab all "smoke" color... but that is just because they all match.

One thing I want to mention in regards to the different divers (you asked about TripZ's) is that the TT seemd to be the most common among guys on the radio (if you listen to it). This is important to know even if you are not using TTs.

You see, when SaraJ Charters are talking to one another and you know what they are using that is working, then you can duplicate it. If SaraJ says, "We can't keep our rods in the water 65 back on the inside" then you have to know a few things. 1- What diver they are using and where it is in the water column at 65 back 2- They are trolling from a 34' CAT and their inside lines are 10' off the water. Let's hypothetically say that they are using a Leur Jensen Diver with a custom trip system and an added 1/2oz weight (just hypothetical). Then I can figure out what depth they are fishing and I may need to be 90-100 back on a 40TT.

Maybe Pooh Bear Charters uses 50 TT. He isn't going to say that on the radio and announce his program. However, if you listen and one of his buddies on the water asks, "What leads?" he may respond "50 back."

Let's compare:
    50 Back on a 50 TT = 30' Deep

It takes 75' Back on a 40 TT to get 30'
    It takes 125' Back on a 30TT to get 30'
    On a TripZ 30 it takes 200' Back to get 30' or 190' Back on a TripZ 40

If you are running TripZ 30's 200 yards back on my boat, I would spend all day untangling lines because I run 6-8 rods out each side and people don't wait long enough to reel in and wind up across multiple lines.

For me, I want shorter leads out on all of my rods. I do run the 40TT because of their size and the commonality of them. You can run tadpoles or any kind of weight or diver system you want. As long as you know the dive chart for what you are using, and then have a dive chart for whatever anyone else is using when giving hot spot info, then you are fine.

I can ask about 30 different boats "What are you leads?" and they respond, and I know that they are using 40TT, and I know what depth they are catching at and can instantly duplicate... Of course, this is considering that I have my reels calibrated and my line counter is accurate, and so is theirs!

-Matt
    Last edited by Madd Matt; 04-29-2016 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Correct Info

Thanks Matt, I understand what you are saying, same as trolling different brands of cranks, I have a small boat an would only be running 3 rods per side,an have run long leeds for browns,in the gin clear water of Ontario. For me I got the jets to target 25 to 10 ' zone. I will do clip on's to target deeper fish . I have the pro edition bible, but will get TT curve charts so I can get a grip on depth compared to what I'm use .Might be able to get them on precision app. I See from reading this site that most people in your area troll short leeds. I'm doing a week in early June Thanks again!

Remember the days when fishing was fishing, not all science, geometry, and physics-based. I understand with cost of trips,gas, equipment fish need to be caught to break even and make the clients happy and coming back.

Just amazing how much walleye fishing has changed over the last 25 years from when I was a little boy, and it was erie dearies and papa dragging a bottom bouncer.

The thrill of the chase