Support your LOCAL bait stores.....copy of my FB rant. Thank you. Support your LOCAL bait stores.....copy of my FB rant. Thank you. Support your LOCAL bait stores.....copy of my FB rant. Thank you. Support your LOCAL bait stores.....copy of my FB rant. Thank you.

Default Support your LOCAL bait stores.....copy of my FB rant. Thank you.

I recently heard about a so-called charter captain telling fisherman and other captains on Ch. 79 not to buy their lures at certain local bait and tackle stores, but to buy directly from him. So you might save a buck, so what. These local bait stores are invaluable to fisherman and charters alike. They are a great source of local knowledge, they stock the lures/bait popular to the local area, and are a great place to stop in on the rainy days. They are small businesses trying to survive in a tough economy, like the rest of us. Don't screw these people, SUPPORT THEM!!! It's hard enough to compete with the giants like Cabela's and Bass Pro, let alone against the renegade jackhole trying to undercut them! This is not a plug for any bait store over another. This is a plug for every independently owned and operated bait and tackle store everywhere. I regularly buy from Hi-Way Bait, Rickards Bait, Fisherman's Wharf , Bay's Edge Bait and Tackle, Tibbel's Marina, and Happy Hooker because they are local to me. If I left you off the list, I'm sorry. My point is simple - support your local businesses. Think about it - you need them as much as they need you! Rant over....thanks for listening.
    Capt. Eric Litton
    614-679-2616
    37' Tollycraft "Pirate Clipper"
    www.eriecharter.com
    Lake Erie Fishing Charters
    Lake Erie Walleye Charters
    Lake Erie Charter Fishing

Agreed! I would rather pay $1 or 2 extra for a custom bait at a store so the store owner and bait painter all get their piece of the pie. Some may think that's financially irresponsible to voluntarily pay more for the same thing but I'm a small business owner, it's better for everyone. Just like paying an extra few cents for gas, I've been down south and met the people that lost jobs due to low gas prices, I'm happy to pay more to make thousands of lives better.

Theres times to save pennies and there's times to think big picture, good for you for posting this and making people aware

I agree, we do need the local bait stores. If you've ever tried to shop at Cabelas for walleye related tackle, you'll quickly realize the selection is limited. I was planning a trip for Sunday and wanted to get some Bandits on Saturday evening. Since Cabelas is near me, I went there to pick up a few. I left empty handed because they didn't have any 5/8 oz Bandits. A quick stop at a local shop let me choose from a wide variety of colors and I was all set.

I do disagree about getting fishing information from these stores though. At least the store I go to. I still remember my first trip on Lake Erie in my own boat. I stopped at the bait store, purchased about $120 in gear and asked for advice on where to start. The response I got was "out on the lake". At first, I thought he was joking, but he wasn't. I pressed for ANY information I could get and all he would tell me is you've got to go out and find the fish with your fish finder and when you find them, fish there. My kids think it's hilarious. We still visit that bait store before most of our trips and just for fun, I usually ask for general areas to fish and even though I go there 10-15 times per year and spend $40 - $150 per visit, he remains tight lipped.

I agree and will add support your local bait shops especially the good ones. I travel to new lakes and areas often I like to explore and the challenge of something new. the quality of the local bait stores often set the tone for the trip some great some not so great.

I make it a point to ask for tips on what is going on and will ALWAYS let them outfit me with their gear if they are providing information. Even if I I already have what they are suggesting or if that was my plan already. If they are tight lipped and or just don't seam to want to help because I am not local ( I run into to that more than you would think). maybe 5 bucks worth of shiners and on my way. And I will try a different shop next time. I also try to return the favor and let them know how I did.

So support them all where you can but go out of your way for the good ones.

I was up last weekend and spent more money in three of the shops you mentioned plus going to Jeanettes for minnows to salt for an upcoming trip to Canada than I did for gas, food and beer the entire weekend. I enjoy going into the smaller shops and engaging with the people that work there

Great post Eric! This is why I choose not to shop at Walmart. I know a lot of people do and they might even save a couple of bucks, but at what cost? Look at the big picture, once they drive the mom and pops out of business watch what they do to the consumer.

I agree as well support your local baits shops as much as you can, but if I kept getting smart ass answers like out in the lake after spending several hundred dollars I would try to find a different bait shop. not good business practices being a wise cracker to people who support your business.

Capt. Eric,

Excellent post. I also agree with everyone's replies. I travel all through both Ohio and Michigan fishing Walleye, Perch, Steelhead and Salmon so I have received a mixed bag of replies from different shops. I find that most shops provide great information. I always purchase something even if I don't need anything.

Hope you all have a great season - Patrick

Can anyone share the name of the Charter ? Pretty sure I know who as he started buying bulk spoons and tying harnesses this year and is pushing them hard on a few sights.
    36 Foot Sportcraft
    Ranger 620
    Lowrance 104
    Ciscos

Reefrunners