Waiting for the Ice Waiting for the Ice Waiting for the Ice Waiting for the Ice
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Matt,
    I may be taking you up on that offer if things ice up enough!

Post Thanks / Like

Worm Wiggler, the Striker Ice suits are great, my dad has one, my cousin has one, and I'll be getting one...hopefully soon. Striker Ice is only about 4-5 miles from my house so if I need to return anything that should help.

Madd Matt, If you could handle someone from out of state tagging along I would love to fish Erie through the ice. I fished it for the first time last summer and will be back this summer but really want to try it through the ice. I just don't want to venture out there on my own for the first time.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

I bought the Striker Ice suit before last year and fished all year with it. The warmest suit I have ever owned. You won't be disappointed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMike View Post
    New Otter flip up, Jiffy auger, lots of tackle, Marcum showdown, new/used 2-up sled, I'm ready to go. May fish some ponds/reservoirs this weekend if the ice is safe.
    sounds like we have done the same thing picked up an otter 1200 lodge this year paid 799 for it also picked up a 2 up sled this year Just for Erie. Had a great time last year on the ice hoping for a repeat this year

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by troy1976 View Post
    Matt,
    I may be taking you up on that offer if things ice up enough!
    Troy,

Let me know. I've got a couple snowmobiles and 4 ATV's with 4WD and 2 quickflip shanties, 2 Flashers, plenty of rods and a place to sleep.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by onestout View Post

Madd Matt, If you could handle someone from out of state tagging along I would love to fish Erie through the ice. I fished it for the first time last summer and will be back this summer but really want to try it through the ice. I just don't want to venture out there on my own for the first time.

Michael
    It is always nice to have someone to go out with. I am by no means an experienced lake Erie Guide... I am not an ice fishing guide. Although, not everyone knows that for $50 anyone can be a licensed ice fishing guide in the State of Ohio. That's right, if you have never even walked on ice in your life and never seen Lake Erie, never cut a hole, never caught a fish or even been fishing, you too can be a licensed Ice Fishing Guide in the State of Ohio. ODNR does not require any experience nor knowledge. There is no test, there are no credentials and there are not even any questions as to if you have any clue what you are doing. (As long as you are not using a boat)

Here is the link. Anyone can sign up and become a Lake Erie ice fishing guide, licensed by the ODNR.

http://wildlife.ohiodnr.gov/Portals/...idelicense.pdf

So, please make sure that when going out that you are getting credentials. There are plenty of Lake Erie Ice Fishing guides with years and years of knowledge and experience that are great knowledgeable guides. Ask your guide how many years on Lake Erie ice they have and ask a lot of good questions, don't take the fact that they have a Lake Erie guide license as any means of qualification!

Anyone who tells you that the "ice is safe" in my opinion doesn't have enough respect of Lake Erie. The ice on Lake Erie is never "safe"... it is just "safer than last week"

Please be careful!

Having said that. If I'm going out and anyone wants to tag along or meet up and go as a group, or meet on the ice in a general area to help zero in on some fish while on the ice, I'm game!

I have a couple guys going out tomorrow morning. I will post detailed reports. I am hoping to go out Saturday and will post again.

Be safe!

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ice gudie

yOU FIRST HAVE TO BE A LICENSE CAPT. before state will give you your ice guide license. The game wardens do ask for both capts. license and ohio guide license, plus your ohio Ice Guide license.
    and they do check. Capt. Mike johnson license coast guard and ohio licensed guide and licensed Ohio Ice guide. Matt here what it says must have original or notarized copy of U.S. coast guard license to apply for ohio ice guide license, at a fee above your ohio charter license and coast guard license. Thank you Capt. Mike
    Last edited by wayne johnson; 01-23-2015 at 08:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Not true about needing to a "Coast Guard Licensed Captain" to be an ice guide. This is the wording out of Matts link he posted .

"If you are only aplying for an ice fishing guide license, the information regarding the boat and Coast Guard license can be
    disregarded; unles, you are using an airboat. If you are using an airboat to transport people to/from your ice shanties, a
    Coast Guard license wil be required. Either way, you wil ned to know the number of ice shanties and the general area of use"

Dale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wayne johnson View Post
    yOU FIRST HAVE TO BE A LICENSE CAPT. before state will give you your ice guide license. The game wardens do ask for both capts. license and ohio guide license, plus your ohio Ice Guide license.
    and they do check. Capt. Mike johnson license coast guard and ohio licensed guide and licensed Ohio Ice guide. Matt here what it says must have original or notarized copy of U.S. coast guard license to apply for ohio ice guide license, at a fee above your ohio charter license and coast guard license. Thank you Capt. Mike
    Mike,

I am not belittling anyone that is a Lake Erie Ice Fishing Guide.

However, you do not have to first be a licensed captain "UNLESS" you are using a boat.

If you want to be a licensed Lake Erie Ice Fishing Guide and are only using snowmobiles and shanties, the ONLY requirement is that you list the number of shanties being used and the "general" area you will use them.

Again, Mike, you are licensed boat captain and experienced Lake Erie charter captain. I was in no way discrediting the Ice Guides on the Lake. I just think that it is VERY important the people not just accept the fact that someone is a licensed Lake Erie Ice Fishing Guide by the ODNR as credential of them having any knowledge of ice safety.

If anyone wants to check the ODNR website feel free. It is clear that all requirements for being a licensed captain first are all exempted if you are not using a boat as an Ice Guide.

Lake Erie is dangerous enough when it's soft. People don't need to have a false sense of security because someone has a piece of paper that anyone can get for $50. Ask questions. Find out if your Ice Guide is knowledgeable and has numerous years of ice fishing on Lake Erie. Go with someone that you have vetted and know is safe.

I'm not a guide. So I am not self promoting anything. Just hoping that everyone is safe on the ice this year.

-Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Ohio Revised Code Section: 1501:31-3-11 Fishing guides.

(A) First-time applicants for an Ohio fishing guide license shall submit their coast guard license or a notarized copy of same along with their ap-
    plication and fee. Applicants for a fishing guide license renewal must submit their coast guard license or a notarized copy of same only when their coast guard license has been renewed after obtaining their previous year’s fishing guide license. This paragraph shall not apply to fishing guides who use their licenses only to guide fishermen to ice shanties.[/COLOR]