Where are the Walleye? Where are the Walleye? Where are the Walleye? Where are the Walleye?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    blk97 Guest

Angry Where are the walleye?

Captainjoe, Thanks for the reply. I fished Dunkirk two weeks in a row, nothing.Fished local walleye drifts on the Eastern end of lake erie ( buffalo ) nothing. We fished on an average three days a week. You would think sooner or later we`d get luck one day. Where are the walleye?

jimski2 Guest

The best reports are from the PA line area west of Barcelona. The walleye are not relating to structure, more likely suspended in the water column. Look for bait schools on the bottom in really deep waters, over 85 feet. A real good sign is I never have seen in many years the amount of young emerald shiners feeding on the surface plankton. Worm harnesses with dipsey set to cover the water column 55 to 65 feet down seem to be producing the best. It is late August and the walleye are out deep in the cooler waters there, this is good because when you find them, they are like "shooting fish in a barrel". When the lake temperatures drop to 65F, then they will return to the shallows off Buffalo.

Post Thanks / Like

Yesterday afternoon I trolled from the upper river all around the old lighthouse, the water intake, Waverly shoals (on the Canadian side) in shallow waters. No walleye. But I did get a few nice bass. I brought the bigger one home to eat, and I skinned it and grilled it. I don't particularly like the taste. Nothing compares to walleye.

So in the future, all my bass go back. BTW, the reason I fished that area was that a Canuck friend of mine was reporting that walleye were in the shoals. If they were, you couldn't prove it by me. I was running 2 lines with harnesses. Believe it or not, I got the bass on green and yellow #5 flatfish on 4' leader. Anybody remember flatfish ?

blk97 Guest

Walleyerick, sorry you didn`t catch any walleye. I`m in the same boat as you. But i have a question . When you trolled yesterday did you use dipsys with worm harnesses? Where are the walleye?

Post Thanks / Like

No dipsey just chugging irons w 4 ft leader and harness at the end with a fat crawler on it. I fish 3-4 ft off bottom, but there are lots of weeds where I was. It was a pain in the ass, which is why I switched to a flatfish that floats.

Personally, I'm not sold on dipsy divers.

blk97 Guest

Tried our luck today, 8-28-08. Got to our spot , started fishing around 9:00 oclock AM. The weather called for two footers or less. Well everything was OK for about two drifts before all hell broke lose. Rain , wind and white caps, need i say more. don`t ask how many walleye we caught please. I get that from my wife each time we go fishing. Where`s the walleye, where`s the walleye, I`m sick of her asking me that. I tell her one of these days,,,, one of these day`s, we`re gonna limit out, she just laugh. Then i tell her , at least we did`nt get skunked. We caught sheep head , gobeys and a few small bass. We were drifting with worm harnesses until the wind and rain blew us off the lake. Any boby catching any walleye? Where are the walleye?

blk97 Guest

Went out this morning, started fishing about 8:00, 8:30 AM. Right off the bat my partner caught one ( walleye ). The very next drift, i caught a nice one. I said maybe this is the day we`ve been waiting for. The water was nice , just alittle ripple, the sun was shinning, everything was perfect except the wind. It was comimg out of the West and then switch kinda Northerly. So we trolled , could not drift the way we wanted. We were useing worm harnesses, color ( copper ). Still everything was OK until the battery died on us. No more walleye today. Going to try it again tomorrow . Where are the walleye?

blk97 Guest

Well the same as yesterday, another nice day,,, can you believe two days in a row and maybe three.We started fishing about 8:00 AM . Things started off a little slow at first, nothing but white bass, gobys and sheephead. They ate a lot of our worms.Things got better around 10:30 AM, ( walleye ). We trolled with the electric motor.Our choice of bait ,worm harnesses, color copper or black did the trick today. The only problem we had , we ran out of worms. Those little gobys are a pain in the neck. Total catch six walleye and one real nice jack perch to bring home.i caught three walleye. Still no limit on walleye, Where are the walleye?

ratfink Guest

Six eyes is still not a bad catch, actually for this time of year in the extreme eastern basin it is quite good.

chuging iron fisherman Guest

all you guys looking for walleye ,don't be discouraged.the thermalcline is setting back up and the eyes are grouping back up and are active again.i hear you guys talk like they dissapeared.they didn't with all the cold fronts and 360 degree winds thru most of august they didn't follow their normal patterns.note to nay sayers remember when times are tough you stop fishing for walleye and start hunting for walleye.if the high pressure holds and bright sun keeps shining by tuesday things will be back to normal.we limited out the last 2 days much deeper and further west than we've been all year.keep the faith there's a lot of good fishing yet.the best is yet to come.good fishing tom & john