Conversation Between jkr and spoontang

9 Visitor Messages

1. I think that is a great area. No doubt there are fish in there. Instead of snap ons, use slip sinkers, egg shaped or bullet shaped slide them up the line to your desired above lure area, 12-25 feet or so, and simply tie a rubber band in a knot under the weight and trim the excess and there you go. The only thing you need to do is keep reeling when the weight hits the eyelet and it slids right down. Very slick set up and no maint. I must say that the two times I've been out, my crank on weighted line has been the best.
  2. Hey Spoontang - going back up Friday - should be on the lake by 6pm. I think I'm gonna hit Green/Rattlesnake area and try trolling crankbaits this time vs bottom fishing with bouncers and harnesses. I bought some snap weights (boy are those expensive at Bass Pro - 2 for $15) and was going to try running rapalas/reef runners with about 1.5oz snap weight 30' up or so and then running another 20-30' to the planer. A boat from WI 2 weeks ago limited out in 5 hours doing this when all we caught were 2 in the exact same area! We were fishing too deep and they were catching the suspended/active eye's. You been out? Any advice - I'm sure I'll try harnesses too near the bottom.
  3. Have you done any fishing? I was stuck in Texas for a couple of extra days with the storms that tore through Dallas. Sounds like a bit of a tough weekend this past weekend.
  4. Ok - thanks. I talked to a guy who lives up there and he said water is like a mud pit. So, I guess I'll take your advice and head N or Kelly's? Or, do you think the water on the northern reefs (ie Niagra or even Northwest) should be ok? Heck, I already have my Ontario license - should I make the trek to Pelee this early? Only time I fished there was last year and we fished on the NE corner - a long trip. Leaving about 3:00am Sat to get on the lake... Just not sure where yet and the muddy water has me a bit worried... Where would you go for Walleye - won't fish for Perch or Smallies. Thanks Again Spoontang!
  5. Pelee is my favorite place on the lake. I spend several weekends there each season. The temp should be warmer than that. I have viewed reports in past and they were off. Should be 55 surface or so. I think if you slow troll worms, you will be alright. 1.2-1.6 mph popping in and out of gear if you troll with the main. let me check the temp.
  6. Hey - I went and looked at satellite photos and noticed the water is also much colder over by Kelly's? Still in the low 40s? I assume that means no worm harnesses trolling but back to jig and shiners? I don't have much luck with jigging minnows as compared to slow trolling 3 oz bottom bouncers with worm harnesses so not sure if I can do that over near Kelly's since the water is colder?
  7. Thanks for the advice. Yea, I know all too well about Gull Island. I fished that last year and camped on Kelly's. Boy does it get shallow - didn't hit my prop but almost. But i did learn about the structure there and we caught an 11 lber in the 40 fow just south of Gull. Plus, you are right, we did well on the East side of Kelly's last year although it was early June. But, with the varying water depths there, I think we could try everything and then camp on Kelly's for the night. Hell, we could even venture to Pelee if the eye's are over there - we fished last year in early July on the NW corner and limited out both days. Kinda long trip in my 17.5 Crestliner but was worth it. Do you ever fish Pelee? Tried this early over there? Thanks again. Will let you know how we do this weekend - you going?
  8. If you look at recent satellite photos, the cleanest water is North of Kellys. If you fish in close, you are targetting mainly males. Deep water off the reefs should hold both. I would fish so I had both options. Ie- perhaps set up near Niagra reef and make drifts to slide over both and make adjustments as water deepens or shallows up. Kellys should have a ton of fish on American Eagle shoal with deep water just a little North West. American Eagle is good trolling too with consistant depth. Kellys would give an option for perch and smallies too and if it gets rough you could always fish the shelterd side. Gull Island shoal is shallow and dangerous, but has fish all over the flats and deep water. I think I favor Kellys with the close reefs, clean water and multiple species.
  9. Hey spoontang - thanks for your help on the walleye. I live in Springboro Ohio and try to get up to Erie about 6 times may-July. I take out my 17.5' Crestliner - went out north of Pelee last July in it (about 45 miles north of shore!). Anyway, looking to go out this weekend - do you suggest I fish just north of the reefs in 30' water, or go fish Turtle Island area in shallower water, or just go over to fish N. of Kellys where I can just camp there in a tent? I'll go wherever i can catch the fish but I know this time of year is hit or miss it seems for me. I usually have better luck when the water warms up a bit.
Showing Visitor Messages 1 to 9 of 9